Tail of the Dragon

Tennessee, United States

Tail of the Dragon Reviews

X_Drive X_Drive
A once a life time road to have fun on. May 04, 2013
Not often in your everyday driving (whether on vacation or not) do you run across a famous stretch of highway like the Tail of the Dragon. This is one of those roads made famous by motorcycles and sports cars and boasts one of the most exciting and scenic rides while working your steering wheel to its max the whole way through. The speed limit is posted at 30 mph, and you will find that getting up to that speed is a rare and very short lasting event many times while you make your way along the narrow two lane road in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. This 11 mile stretch of road has 318 curves, some of which are posted at 10 mph!! Some of the Dragon's sharpest curves have names like Copperhead Corner, Hog Pen Bend, Wheelie Hell, Shade Tree Corner, Mud Corner, Sunset Corner, Gravity Cavity, Beginner's End, and Brake or Bust Bend. It is best driven on a nice sunshiny day but the day we found ourselves on it there was rain and clouds. There is a nice stopping point called Deal’s Gap, which is a gas station, and convenience store, with plenty of motorcycle buttons, pins, and fun items along with restrooms, thank goodness. A really fun ride! And I would suggest that you do a google search for photos and pictures taken on this wonderful and exciting road.
One of the ad posters I found of t…
sylviandavid says:
No dead man's curve? .... great review. Love the names of the curves.
Posted on: Sep 24, 2014
wandafromtexas says:
I wish I had the patience to write more..oh..well...will just keep on shooting!
Posted on: Oct 10, 2013
missandrea81 says:
Belated congrats on the feature, Roger. :)
Posted on: Oct 05, 2013