Tai Sheng Yuan restaurant

50 Huanghe Road, Shanghai, China

Tai Sheng Yuan restaurant Shanghai Reviews

spocklogic spocklog…
Stumble upon in Shanghai Nov 16, 2014
In searching for a late lunch/early dinner, me and my companions did stumble upon a restaurant called Tai Sheng Yuan at the corner of Fengyang Rd. and Huanghe Rd. The entrance opens into a large lobby and there is a huge fish tank to see and some big stone on a pedestal. I am guessing it is an entrance for a hotel, but the restaurant is attached - I'm not sure. The route to the left takes you to the restaurant.

The restaurant is very cozy inside with a pleasant, relaxing decor, but has ample windows for distractions from outside. The food here was, for the most part, traditional and tasty. One of my companions (who is Chinese) criticized the tofu dish and said it was not good. I can not gauge the cuisine on that level even though I visit China two times before. I have to agree though, that it was bland and without much personality. Then again, there was a glazed pork dish we disagreed about too.

So, different palettes like different things. Though I am no expert in the foods of China, I am getting accustomed to what I like and don't like. Overall, the food here seemed to border on what you might expect from a clash between Western version of Chinese food and Eastern (native) version. I don't know quite how to assess it really, but only to say the dishes for me were hit or miss. The restaurant itself has a nice ambiance and you can watch the people on the street from a window table that viiews out on an intersection with a good deal of activity.
Tai Sheng Yuan exterior
Fengyang Rd
Entrance lobby with huge fish tank
Entrance lobby with large rock on …
spocklogic says:
True enough! Sometimes the ambiance compensates for the food, as in this case. Some of the dishes were good, but others just average.
Posted on: Jan 17, 2015
gingerbatik says:
agree Brian, different people has different pallette. However, once accustomed to the food - usually can tell between what good or not:) at least you enjoy the ambience
Posted on: Jan 16, 2015