Tai O

Tai O, Hong Kong

Tai O Reviews

invizee invizee
Quaint fishing village Nov 19, 2012
Mention Hongkong and the image of skyscrapers adorning the horizon come to mind. However there are other charming surprises that the city has to offer as well.

Nestled right at the end of Lantau Island is the rural fishing village of Tai O. Houses on stilts and shops selling all manners of sea products form the bulk of the village's sights. Take a boat out to sea like I did to try and catch a glimpse of pink dolphins. I wasn't lucky - maybe you will be.

There is a laid back feel to the entire village, everyone seems to take life slow and easy. Never mind that nobody can speak that much English, they still display warmth and friendliness from the woman I saw feeding a dog to the man who made me sample his egg tarts.

Although it was a bit intrusive, I walked deep into the stilt houses to see how they lived. Everything was out in the open and their homes were all laid out there for nosy travellers like myself to peep into. Still I don't think they minded much - one old lady gestured and wanted to talk to us. Pity about the language barrier.

I really enjoyed my time here away from the bustle of city life. Do drop by for a visit and you may be blown away at the tranquility of the place like I was.

Related Travel Blogs About Tai O

Tai O Fishing Village (大澳) on Lantau Island
   Tai O Fishing Village (大澳) is a peaceful fishing harbour.  Salted fish is their local specialty (though infested with houseflies sitting on dried or fresh fish ... eat… O was once the largest city on the island and in the 1970s and today the town is a tourist attraction.   Tai O fishing…
Day Trip to the Giant Buddha on Lantau Island and many other places
This was my first trip where I toured by myself.  Everyone I met from various countries (UK, Spain, and Australia etc.) were very welcoming; as a group I traveled together never feeling alo…Tai O Fishing Village! Tai O Fishing Village   is a peaceful fishing harbour…
Hong Kong Biking - Tung Chung
It may surprise many people to know that Hong Kong has very large areas of unspoiled nature.  Hong Kong has many miles of hiking trails – and an increasing number of biking trails also. W…Tai O) is rocky and seems more appropriate for serious mountain bikers (although the presence of hikers also…
Tai O Map