Avery Island, Louisiana

TABASCO!!!!! Avery Island Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
tour the Tabasco plant and get a free sample! Mar 15, 2005
Avery Island is home to the Tabasco sauce plant and offers free tours of the sauce making process as well as providing a free sample of tabasco sauce. I'm not a huge fan of Tabasco sauce but this tour was fun and worth it. We got a mini bottle of sauce to take home and then were free to shop in the large store. The store had several different products containing Tabasco sauce to sample. By far the best was the Tabasco flavored ice cream!

I'm thinking we couldn't take photos since I didn't have any from the tour, or maybe I just wasn't that interested.

After touring the plant and eating our (hot!) ice cream we drove as close to the salt mine as we could. Avery Island is a big salt dome. The salt is less dense than surrounding rock so it pushed up toward the surface, and in this case broke the surface.

We also stopped briefly at Jungle Gardens, known for its lovely flowers and trees. You had to pay for entry and we didn't feel like it so we just browsed the gift shop and used the restrooms.
Tabasco Sauce sign
salt domes and oil well sign
raised relief map of Avery Island
sampling the different sauces

Related Travel Blogs About TABASCO!!!!!

New Orleans to Houston
Miss Annie‚Äôs breakfast started our day in fine style.  We had pancakes that were very obviously NOT from a pre-mixed package.  The coffee was strong and flavorful, warming my little soul …Avery Island and the Tabasco Sauce factory.   It would have added over 100 miles and three hours to our drive…

Compare New Iberia Hotel Rates (14.2km away)

TABASCO!!!!! Map