Syntagma Square Metro Station Museum

Athens, Greece

Syntagma Square Metro Station Museum Athens Reviews

cotton_foam cotton_f…
for free, why not?! May 16, 2009
One commentator said, “It took thousands of years before Athens could have a metro, but it did!”

For those who are interested in archaeology or museums for ancient artifacts, I would say the freebie museum of Athens Metro is worth a visit.

Even if we did not go anywhere to use the metro, we hopped in any way and stopped at Syntagma Square Station. It was worth our time because Syntagma Station is not just a metro station, but there is also a museum there that houses many of the artifacts and antiquities found in the constructions sites. What was very interesting is that the construction of Athen's metro. It took ages to finish the construction because each time they start to dig, they would hit a wall or found urns, tablets, ancient pots, columns, cisterns, ancient roads, clay drainage pipes, even graves and other antiquities. So every time that happens the construction would stop and allowed archaeologists to come to the sites to inspect the finds.

When taking the metro from Syntagma Square, don't rush to your platform. I encourage you to explore the archaeology partner of this high-tech means of transportation, and don't just walk blankly on the white marble steps. Be awed at those artifacts from various periods of Athen's civilization. Look for the window glass with displays of all the ancient "treasures" of Athens!

Athens metro is quite different from the other metro stations I have seen in the past. I was fascinated at its pure white marble halls free from any ad. And to some extent it felt like I was walking on the streets heaven! It would be nice if Athens kept the metro walkways this way -- ad-free that gives the illusion of a “spiritual experience!”
cicie says:
Interesting review with beautiful photos, May.
Posted on: Aug 12, 2014
tj1777 says:
Nice metro stop :) sort of reminds me of my trip to Moscow when I always went out to have a look at the metro stations before I was ready to jump into the next one.
Posted on: Aug 12, 2014
Zagnut66 says:
Now that is a cool metro stop.
Posted on: Aug 11, 2014