Sydney Central YHA

Sydney Central YHA Rates and Deals

Sydney Central YHA Reviews

msruf msruf
Awesome hostel but BEWARE! Mar 04, 2012
I didn't have any accommodation booked when I arrived in Sydney. YHA had great reviews and was close, so I decided to try it out. I walked up hill with 3 bags in the pouring rain to get there, and when I arrived they tried to tell me they only had privates left at $150+ per night. I was soaked to the bone, panting from my uphill hike, and obviously looked desperate. Fortunately I had had my boyfriend call the hostel 30 minutes earlier, where they told him 'we have plenty of dorms available'... So obviously I knew they were trying to take advantage of my situation. I called Bull S*** on them and they miraculously "found a dorm available" 15 minutes later. When I got to the room, 3 of the 4 beds were empty. I was pretty angry they tried to pull one over on me. Other than them trying to scam me out of an extra $100+ per night, the hostel is really cool. Great view of the opera house, awesome patio and lounge, nice rooms, extremely Eco-friendly. Just make sure you are booked ahead of time so you avoid scamming receptionists
apanda apanda
Best hostel in Sydney CBD Jan 30, 2012
This was my favorite hostel on the East Coast of Oz. I appreciated the separate toilet and shower areas and glass shower doors. I also liked the large lockers in the rooms that are big enough to fit my large rolling bag. Wireless internet is a plus, too. The downside is that it is a popular place and you will see all age groups, not just backpackers.
nimic nimic
Best Hostel Down Under Aug 03, 2011
I can't find any words to describe this Hostel, It's more like a 10 star Hotel! Everything is great there from the activities, to the facilities & their location.

I stayed in Sydney Central YHA for 3 nights, in a room for 3 people for about 150 dollar a night (they don't have the offer on their website, but it's available on

Lots of activities in the hostel from Pizza night, to movies twice a day. They have their own swimming pool, sauna, plus other basic things like cafe, internet and so on.

Internet there aren't free (10 AUD for 24 hr) . The location is amazing, just get yourself to the Central Train Station and you'll find the hostel. It's located near the Darling Harbour & Paddy's Market (which i think i visited almost everyday lol)

They have their own bar as well - Scubar!! There were even frequent performances like for example, there were some irish men blowing trumpets & playing something at the reception around 11pm. Kinda entertaining ^^

I really like this Hostel, Everything's perfect!

Tips : It's cheaper to get to the Hostel from the airport in a taxi if you're in a group (as a taxi costs about 30-35 dollar) while the train costs about 15 dollar each.
d2amy d2amy
Great place, in central location May 04, 2011
This hostel is about a 5 minute walk from Central Train Station, but there are a lot of hostels around that area as well. The only real downside to this place that it costs more than normal because it is a YHA, which sucks. It was in a really cool building and I chose it because my mom was staying with me and I didn't want a party hostel, or younger crowd awake at all hours of the night. For what I wanted, this hostel would be 100%

The staff were relatively friendly, I don't think I met one Australian working there though, a lot of Spanish which I thought was pretty neat. It's very clean in the halls, however the staff didn't through away the garbage like ever, so that was sort of gross.
onthemoveuk onthemov…
Very upmarket hostel Apr 12, 2011
This hostel is very modern, and i feel is just like a hotel rather than a hostel.

Their is a lack of a hostel atmosphere, as the place is so big. Very good if you are a family or a not too many drunken travellers roaming around.

One thing i did like was each bed has a reading light!!

I just feel very expensive, but then again most of the hostels in sydney are.
fera311 fera311
Sydney Central YHA Jun 07, 2011
This hostel was in a great location, was clean and had great security. It was a bit pricier for a hostel, but well worth the little bit extra! It was right near the train/bus station and in a great location to walk pretty much anywhere.
SFGiantsGirlie SFGiants…
Convenient location, just a place to sleep Jul 11, 2010
When I first arrived into Sydney, I stayed here for two nights. After getting off a 15 hour flight, I was pleased to be checked in early, since I was two hours early. The bedrooms were basic, I was in a 4 bed girls dorm. Quiet hostel, not much going on and no common areas to meet people. I viewed this hostel as a place to sleep, and that's about it. It's in a great location though, central to Sydney CBD and walkable distance to many tourist attractions and transport options, such as the train and bus. Overall, I'd recommend it if you're only looking for a place to leave your stuff and sleep. Anything other than that, I'd find a different hostel.
patriot4311 patriot4…
You get what you pay for. Mar 30, 2010
Sydney Central YHA is located on Rawson St in downtown Sydney, just a few steps from Central Station so it's very conveinent.

The roof-top pool and patio is fantastic. The pool is clean and clear, and the sauna works beautifully :)

Each of the beds in each room has a secure locker for storage (bring your own lock) and sheets are included in the price of the room. The prices are a bit higher than average, but the amenities are well-worth it (pool table, skee ball, massive kitchen and clean showers).

The staff are excellent and very helpful, and had no problems.

SKUBAR nighclub is literally right next door to the hostel and is an awesome time, especially Monday nights. The rest of downtown is easily accessible (Bondi Beach bus stop is a 10-15 min walk).

I would definitely stay here again, but I must mention two things: One, the free breakfast at the cafe next door that comes with the purchase of a stay here, is not worth anything. The [breakfast] food is dreadful. And two, there are roaches on the roof (next to the pool area, there is BBQ. And a lot of people use the barbie and have a good time, so the roaches are fed by the crumbs; I never saw any roaches inside of the hostel, or heard anyone speak of them as being inside the building.

The wifi is expensive, but just as anywhere I guess. $0.75 for 15 min, or $50 a day. You can purchase any amount of time that you want and are not limited to the those two options. So, if you want to put $10 on a card, you can.
Adrian_Liston Adrian_L…
Great hostel right in the heart of Sydney Jan 19, 2009
I am rather impressed by the YHA Sydney Central. For the price you pay (cheap) and the location (Central Railway station) you get much more than you would expect. The rooms are clean, quiet, well insulted and good facilities are provided on every floor. Being at the central railway station it is perfect for anyone who is going to catch a long-distance bus or plane - literally a two minute walk from the railway and bus stations. It is maybe a fifteen minute walk from Darling Harbour and perhaps a forty minute walk from Sydney Harbour (along George Street), or much less using the regular and close metro stations. Perfect location for someone who doesn't want to spend all their holiday cash on accommodation and yet also doesn't want to live in a hovel and catch lice.
eflyer82 eflyer82
Great Hostel Jul 09, 2009
I spent a week at this hostel and would stay here again when I go back. The staff was great, full of knowledge and made my visit wonderful. I had a private room that I shared with my friend. We had our own bathroom and 2 beds. There is a pool, internet cafe, entertainment room (pool table and games), TV room, full kitchen, and bar (Scubar). The location is awesome. Right next to Central station makes traveling outside of the city easy.

I have sent several of my friends to stay here and they have loved every minute of it.

If your traveling to Sydney and are looking for a place to stay that is affordable, safe, and clean, stay here!

If you have any other questions about this Hostel, just ask.
melissak melissak
Jan 20, 2008
This hostel is awesome! Its more like a hotel but with dorm rooms. Its soo clean and well looked after and has everything you could want in a hostel. Theres an awesome travel agent on site and they can book anything you want pretty much. The kitchens huge with a big eating area as well. Tons of computers with internet access. The bathrooms are so clean and the showers are great. I also met a ton of really awesome people here too. Theres a bar underneath called the Scubar and around the corner under the Wakeup hostel is the Side Bar. Its also right across the street from Central Station and walking distance to most major sights. The staff are so friendly too and really helpful. Its about 30 dollars a night for HI members. Great place to stay if you're in Sydney!
kimik5 kimik5
Great location and facilities Dec 15, 2008
I spent about 2 nights(twin room,$68a night) here. The location is fab!

You can walk to George Str. which is the center of town with all the cool stores and you can also hop on the sightseeing tour bus just a little walk from the YHA.

It's really big...9 stories... and I love the restaurant on the 1st floor

• Excursions
  • Nightclubs
  • Billiards
  • Desk
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Pool Indoor
  • Pool Outdoor
  • Outdoor heated pool
  • Games Available
  • Coffee Shop/Cafeteria
  • Security and video surveillance in public areas
  • Luggage Storage