Swayambhu nath - Monkey temple

Swayambhu hill, Kathmandu, Nepal

Swayambhu nath - Monkey temple Kathmandu Reviews

yarayarinha7 yarayari…
After the never ending stairs Jan 23, 2013
If you go to Katmandu and don't visit this tempel , something is wrong with you!

There's a fee for the entrance, but it's well worth it, if you survive the crazy amount of stairs to the top, you'll be happy you've made it!

Amazing views, amazing statues, little temples, and crazy monkeys! Not to be missed!

Up at the top you'll have a 180º view of the whole city, the mountains, etc.

There's many little temples and stupas at the top as well, it almost feels like a little village inside.
Kathmandu1 Kathmand…
Oldest Buddhist stupa on hill top Nov 05, 2012
After 20 minutes walk from Thamel to west, we arrive at the bottom of hill. Here is an entrance that lead to top of hill by approx 1000 steps on. Once we arrive at top we breath fast and at the same time we see beautiful Swayambhu nath temple which is more than 2000 years old. Its nice to see around here the historical old monuments. It is said that the temple was here when Kathmandu valley was a big lake and Swayambhu nath means the temple appeared itself. Very interesting mythology about the monuments. In bonus we could see the whole Kathmandu valley view - bird eye form here. As its the monsoon season the weather was not clear and no Himalayan view but lot of fresh air to breath and greenery all around. I have plan to visit this place again at evening time to feel the spiritual vibe. hmm.... I love to rotate the buddhist praying wheels that is around the stupa.
My TravBuddy friend from Malaysia …
Swayambhunath Temple
sUrAbUyA says:
Ok I just looked at the photos again. I don't know what I was doing the first time that I missed seeing the pics with the monkeys! Yes if we get there I will definitely go there.
Kathmandu1 says:
Haha..you could see monkeys on photos that I have posted, pls see more. Sure, you should visit this place wheneve you visit in Nepal and monsoon will be finished by end of August. :)
sUrAbUyA says:
Are there monkeys there? When does the monsoon season end? I will put this on my list of places to see when ever we go to Kathmandu.
alicewang0311 alicewan…
Swayambhu nath - Monkey temple May 20, 2011
Swayambhunath (Devnagari: स्वयम्भूनाथ स्तुप; sometimes romanized Swoyambhunath) is an ancient religious complex atop a hill in the Kathmandu Valley, west of Kathmandu city. It is also known as the Monkey Temple as there are holy monkeys living in parts of the temple in the north-west. The Tibetan name for the site means 'Sublime Trees' (Wylie:Phags.pa Shing.kun), for the many varieties of trees found on the hill. However, Shing.kun may be a corruption of the local Newari name for the complex, Singgu, meaning 'self-sprung'.[1] For the Buddhist Newars in whose mythological history and origin myth as well as day-to-day religious practice, Swayambhunath occupies a central position, it is probably the most sacred among Buddhist pilgrimage sites. For Tibetans and followers of Tibetan Buddhism, it second only to Boudhanath
gracem gracem
Beautiful temple Apr 14, 2011
Beautiful place in the center of Kathmandu, not too many tourists lots of beautiful views of Kathmandu from the top...beautiful statues and things to take pictures of, although there are lots of walking up steps!

Check Kathmandu Hotel Deals