Swallow Falls State Park

Herrington Manor Lake Rd, Oakland, MD, USA

Swallow Falls State Park Oakland Reviews

alexindc alexindc
They call this God's country for a reason Dec 20, 2009
Checked out Swallow Falls State Park in late December, the day after a foot of snow fell in the area. We were a little worried at first, but luckily this day happened to be bright and sunny, even if it was a little cold (lower 20's). Also, we weren't the only crazies who came all the way out there the day after a major storm, as four other vehicles were in the parking lot when we arrived.

During the off-season, you pay $2 (on your honor, stuff it into a box as you enter) to get in, per vehicle. You can donate more, if you like.

The trails are circular, so you get to see all three falls either way you go. We went to the left and saw the largest and most popular attraction, Muddy Creek Falls. It is 53 feet high, and was breathtaking, surrounded by the snow and ice on both sides.

Next were the two smaller falls; en route, the trail went along the river, many times between massive rock formations, which were dripping with ice formations due to the weather. Magical, would be how I would discribe it.

Finally, on the way out, you go through a "tall pine" forest; in the snow, I felt like I was in Narnia or something; only thing missing was the Mr. Tummis!

The whole thing takes about an hour if you take your time and don't stop to swim or picnic. Obviously, those were not options for us with a foot of snow on the ground! Also, pets are allowed...just clean up after them! My dog loved it!

It can get very crowded during the Summer, especaially on weekends. Go early!
Swallow Falls State Park after a s…
Swallow Falls is dog friendly!

Check Oakland Hotel Deals