Andriyivsky uzviz 136, Kiev, Ukraine
425 3586

Svytlytsa Kiev Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
A charming and an affordable place to eat Jun 01, 2010
Svytlytsa is a small French eatery located right below At Andrew´s Church on Andriyivsky uzviz. This is a charming and affordable place where you can eat well without breaking the bank. If you are a backpacker on a budget you can easily enjoy an omelet for €3. Svytlytsa serves all kinds of dishes, but are most famous for their crêpe (salt and sweet).

The indoor had a warm atmosphere, but I chose to sit outside on the summer terrace, a great place to watch the world go by.

Ordering was a bit tricky since the waitress did not speak a word of English. After I thought that I had ordered another waitress came to my table. She spoke a little bit of English and the misunderstandings were cleared. I ordered a marine catfish in black current sauce. The main dishes come with nothing, so you have to order potatoes, vegetables etc as side dishes.

When my plate arrived I was a bit skeptical. Due to the black current, the sauce sure was purple. Was this poison? No, not at all. It was very good indeed. As a dessert I had to try their famous crêpe and ordered a banana, rum flambe. When it was served the waitress stuck a lighter to it, but it was far from catching fire. It looked a bit pathetic, but it tasted well.

Svytlytsa serves good food and I would eat here again on my next visit to Kiev.
Entrance to Svytlytsa