Sven and Ole's Pizza

Sven and Ole's Pizza - part of the menu

Sven and Ole's Pizza Grand Marais Reviews

nicoleah nicoleah
Overrated Jan 24, 2012
While good for cheap eats, most people going to Sven and Ole's will wonder what all the hype is about. While they do offer some interesting pizza choices (sauerkraut, wild rice), the pizza itself tastes very bland. The tomato sauce is clearly canned and the crust is often soggy. Trying the pasta is even worse.

They do have a pizza buffet on weekends which is a good price, but I'd recommend drinking plenty of beer with whatever food you get so you won't notice the taste of the food.

You will see Sven and Ole bumper stickers on cars throughout Minnesota, but the fact is people put them on their cars as an ode to the Scandinavian jokes and because the restaurant pushes them on each person who walks through the door. Granted, it's the only local pizza place in town but don't go in with high expectations as you'll surely be disappointed.
alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
possibly the best pizza crust ever Jul 09, 2009
I've seen Sven and Ole's bumper stickers and billboards but didn't know what type of food they served. I thought it would be Scandinavian food given the name and heritage of the area, but it was a pizza joint. I've wanted to try it for awhile and my mom said the pizza was really good, so we found ourselves there for lunch one day.

When you walk in, turn to the left and place your order at the counter. From there you can be seated in the restaurant - the bus boy told us we couldn't sit down until we had ordered. We wanted to sit in a booth, but by the time we had our food, it was taken.

You can order a whole pizza, with several types to choose from, single slices of pizza, pasta, or sandwiches. We chose the lunch special and got 2 slices of pizza, a small salad, and a beverage for under $6 a piece. Single slices of cheese, sausage, and pepperoni are available all day (until 1 hour before closing) for $2.50 each.

We found a table in the crowded restaurant and ate. I was a little skeptical, but was pleasantly surprised at how delicious the pizza tasted. I had a slice of pepperoni and one of cheese. The pizza crust was fantastic!

The crust was soft and sweet and possibly the best crust I’ve had. I wish I could have taken some home with me.

You can buy frozen pizzas to take home with you but we still had 3 days of camping ahead of us. There is also a little bar area, the Pickled Herring Pub. When you are finished you just walk away and someone will bus your table. The pizza is so good that I can't wait to go back! Too bad they are so far from home.
Sven and Ole's store front
order counter
yummy pizza
dining area and pub in back
world-traveller123 says:
agreed!
Posted on: Feb 28, 2011
harleyd says:
i love that place! i need to get up there since it's been a couple years now!
Posted on: Jul 17, 2009