Sushi Ota San Diego Reviews
Oct 07, 2007
I was told that this place is supposed to be the "best" sushi in san diego. so, i had to check it out.
i made reservations for a sunday night and it was fairly crowded. but, because of the reservations, we were seated fairly quickly. there is a strong scent of fish. good sign (although my friends did not like the smell one bit).
this is not a traditional sushi place so there are maki, nigiri, sashimi, dynamites and other cooked items served here. we ordered the following:
1. seaweed salad - a lit bit too smokey.
2. scallop dynamite - this was average - i felt like they used the best foods brand of mayo and it was too rich. there were also pieces of crab.
3. salmon belly nigiri - nice and fatty and the serving was huge.
4. yellowtail belly nigiri - also nice and fatty and the serving was huge.
5. snow crab hand roll - i couldn't really taste the richness of the crab.
6. hamachi (regular yellotail) - i've had ones where they just melt in your mouth... And this wasn't one of them.
7. Rainbow roll - normally, this is served with imitation krab. we asked to substitute it with snow crab. it was ok.
the service was pretty friendly although not good about re-filling the water or even telling us that they are out of an item (i ordered the sweet shrimp but were not told they were out of it until after i asked and after we were almost done with our meal). there was also no soy sauce in the soy sauce jar. but, those things were not so bad because the servers and hostesses were pretty nice about it.
bottomline: it is just ok. not great.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!