Sushi Damo

330 West 58th St # 1, New York, NY, USA - (212) 707-8609

Sushi Damo New York Reviews

callmechia callmech…
Pricey but Nicey sushi in shi-shi Columbus Circle Aug 27, 2009
Sometimes you just crave sushi, even if you're in one of the most notoriously expensive areas in Manhattan.

Such was the case for Sushi Damo. My father and I chose this place because we happened to be in the area, and I WANTED JAPANESE RIGHT THEN AND THERE!! Lol... not really, but kinda. We knew this restaurant would be expensive going in, based solely on its location (hey, it's Columbus Circle, what'd you expect?), but we also figured it would be better than trekking all over to god-knows-where, trying to find a cheaper place to eat in a different area.

Both the exterior and the interior of Sushi Damo are quite modern and sleek. Everything is very streamlined and minimalist-looking. Basically, it looks expensive. The service was friendly and we were sat right away.

We each had a Sapporo draught beer (at 7 bucks a pop-but hey, it's Columbus Circle). We had tea as well, but ordered beer for the main reason that Sapporo on draught is kind of hard to come by.

Although the appetizers were priced pretty well, (the miso soup was very tasty and for $3 was a veritable NYC bargain) I wasn't about to pay a whopping $6 for edamame, Columbus circle or no. That said, the shrimp shumai were probably the best I've ever had: delicate and light, with just the right shrimpy aroma. Those were quite delicious and garner my highest recommendation of the items we ordered.

For a main meal, we chose to get two rolls and split them. I don't know about you, but I tend to judge a sushi place on their "special creation rolls", because these often disappoint.

We got a Passion roll (spicy tuna, salmon, yellowtail and seaweed salad with fresh salmon outside, formed into the shape of a heart *see photo*), and a Tokyo Rose roll (blackened tuna, shiso -I'm a sucker for anything with shiso- daikon radish sprouts, and panko bread crumbs, topped with spicy tuna and 3 kinds of fish roe).

I gotta say, Sushi Damo really stepped up to the plate -- these rolls were delicious and beautifully crafted. I'd say Damo could give my old standby Ichiban a run for its money, if each roll weren't a good 6 or 7 dollars more expensive and soup were included (which it isn't).

All in all, I rather enjoyed Sushi Damo. The atmosphere was nice and the food was excellent. The only downside is that you'll definitely be paying at least $25 per person for a full meal (but hey, it's Columbus Circle... what did you expect?). For more economical (and more authentic) Japanese food, check out St. Marks Place. However, if you're in the Columbus Circle area and are looking for an elegant experience in Japanese cuisine, Sushi Damo is a nice choice.
The exterior of the restaurant.
The tricolor Tokyo Rose roll (top)…

Check New York Hotel Deals