Survive & have fun in BKK
Survive & have fun in BKK Bangkok Reviews
Oct 02, 2006
Bangkok or Krung Thep called by Thai, means City of Angels because it has been the place for royal families for more than 200 years. Some might say here is like heaven or hectic like hell. I would say both, but I've never found anyone forget Bangkok. Life in Bankok is not difficult. I'll try to input as much asI can. Sorry if it's a little help.Below information is just generalideas for traveling here in Bangkok.
Weather: now is rainy season, it rainsalmost everyday. This season will last around end of Oct.This will affect;
1. Traffic jam; you have to plan and spare time on the road. If your trip is on sky train route which we call BTS, would be ok.
2. Humidity; very moist before and after raining
3. Shoes; you shouldn't wear sneakers; flip flops are ok, but if you plan for temple you should prepare polite shoes & outfit
1. BTS, sky train, the most famous way of traveling.
2. MRT, stupid subway doesn't connect with the sky train.
3. Bus (non air con, 4-5 baht, Air con- not more than 20 baht)
4. Tuk Tuk costs around 150-300 baht in town. Beware, drivers always drive crazy.
5. Taxi by meter
6. motorcycle, in case of emergency, you can find them almost every corner. cost from 40-200 baht depend of negotiation.
1. Tuk Tuk is the most famous vehicle in BKK that visitors like to try. Average cost is around 100-200 baht in city area. If you are asked more than 350 you might be cheated.
2. Tuk Tuk, sometimes the driver get commission from jewelry shop/food/etc, try not to be convinced to go to where the driver recommend, since the product quality is bad. Sometimes they pretend that the car is broken near the shopping area and then someone might come to you and push you to buy. Just say no.
3.Watch your bag, when you get on the train, bus or at crowded place.
4. Taxi, try to study the road before taking a cab; the driver might take you around to keep the meter running up. You can call tourist police first to ask how to get where you wanna go, at least which road you should take, then you tell the driver; they will think that you've been here for a long time. Or call operator 1113 (Baht 8 / min)
5. Taxi, make sure the driver switch on meter everytime. If the driver ask not to use the meter and charge as fare, just say no and find others.
Hi-end: Siam Paragon / Emporium / Central Chidlom/Siam Center / Central World Plaza. These places are on BTS route. Hilight places are recommended
Value for money / find some sourvenir: Suanlum Night Barzaar (MRT)/ Weekend market (Chatuchak) BTS / Pratunam Platinum (Taxi). These places you can find clothes, food, souvenir in valuable price. Don't forget to bargain.
Silom Road (affordable expat area): Irish Xchange, Barbican
Sathorn (hi-end expat area): Zug bar (Sukhothai hotel), Vertigo, Hu Bar
Touristy area: Kao Sarn Road
Teenage area: RCA (entertainment street), Ake Ka Mai. Full of disco / pub where teens go.
General: Tong Lor Road (or Soi Tong Lor), The Dome
Thai Food; place
Tourist's favorite: cruise dinner (gerneral hotel near river) check 1113
Local people's recommend:
1. Krua Nai Baan (Lang Suan Rd)
2. AnnaCafe (Silom Rd.)
3. Kallaprapruek (Sathorn Rd./ Siam Paragon)
Recommended Thai Food
1. Tom Yum Gung (universal)
2. Pad Thai (universal)
3. Kaeng Som Cha-om Tod (spicy vegetable soup with srimp)
4. Pla Muek Pad Kai Khem (fried squid with salted egg)
5. Num Prick Long Rue (chilly paste with pork)
6. Pla Tod Num Pla (Deep fried fish with fish sauce) Optional fish
7. Poo Nim Tod Krateim (deep fried crab skin with garlic)
8. Poo Nim Pad Pong Ka-ree (fried crab skin in curry powder)
1. Look Shup (miniature of vegetable made from mashed soy bean + sugar + coconut milk)
2. Tub Tim Grob + Num Kra Ti (Truffle in gellatine with sweet coconut milk and ice)
3. Kao Neaw Mamuang (Mango + sweet sticky rice)
All in all, Bangkok is a nice place to visit. It's convenient and affordable.You will have quality product / food / service incheap to affordable price. 1 very luxurious meal costs you around 100EU max in a very hi-end hotel. 1 Quality meal cost you around 1,000 baht for 2.You will get more than you give. People are nice and they can speak English. Some topic above, for instance"Trick", might sound so dangerous, but don't worry if you've known it you will beware and foreseen the problem. Those people are not harmful, they just try to earn their money, if what they offer not meet your need, just say no and walk away, then you will spend your time here happily. Just have fun with your life and live it to the full. Enjoy and if you have any questions / problems while you are, I'm willing to answer. Welcome!!!
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!