Surrey's Cafe & Juice Bar

Surrey's Cafe & Juice Bar - the menu

Surrey's Cafe & Juice Bar New Orleans Reviews

ahtibat17 ahtibat17
Good... until there was a bug. Oct 27, 2013
I had found Surrey's Cafe and Juice Bar on the Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives website a couple years ago for a New Orleans trip. I didn't go then, so when I returned to NOLA recently, I wanted a place for Sunday breakfast. Sidenote: I looked the menu up ahead of time, and saw on the website where it was in the movie "Failure to Launch", in a scene where Matthew McConnaughhay and his buddies are discussing life. We had to call OnStar for directions, but we found it, then found a parking space a couple blocks further.

Surrey's is a small neighborhood place located on Magazine Street, and it must be a pretty popular place with both locals and tourists, because we had to wait about 20 minutes for a table. Once we were seated, I cold see that this was a cozy, indy cafe. We were sat at a table next to the wall... keep this in mind. I ordered a glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice (definitely recommended) and glanced over the menu. I had pretty well decided on the pain perdu, which is what I did go ahead and order.

Despite being busy, the wait for food wasn't extreme. I thought the meal was okay, but nothing spectacular like had been featured on Triple D. We were close to the end of our meal; I'd paid the bill (something like $30 for just the two of us, so a little on the expensive side) and that's when we got a lovely surprise -- a roach crawled out of the napkin holder on the wall. GROSS! We were done with that and hightailed it out of there.
the menu
Surrey's Cafe and Juice Bar
orange juice
pain perdu
dyevushka dyevushka
Over-valued yuppity cafe Sep 23, 2011
The girl at my hotel (Prytania, down the street) recommended Surrey's as a breakfast place. Once I found it (walking distance), I was immediately disappointed by the high prices. I placed my order and then realized that there was a sign (by the door) saying cash only. I rushed to the waitress to get her to cancel my order since I didn't have enough cash, and she shrugged and told me I had to use the ATM in the back. I didn't appreciate the lazy advertizing and wish they had it posted in the front!

Once my order arrived, I was dissapointed again that the "biscuits in sausage gravy" (yeah, all southern here) tasted like chopped up old corned beef or leftover ham gristle.

Check New Orleans Hotel Deals