Surfing Santas

Cocoa Beach, Florida

Surfing Santas Cocoa Beach Reviews

Cho Cho
Christmas Eve at the beach Dec 30, 2015
We had heard about the "Surfing Santas" event that is held every Christmas Eve at Cocoa Beach in Florida. So we decided to see what's with this action last Thursday, the 24th. The event was supposed to start at 9 am with an offical welcome address by the chief organizer, but we left Orlando at 6 in the morning, in order to get there early as we heard the parking space was going to be tight. And so it was, when we got there although it was not even 7:30. All the free parking was taken so we had to pay $10 for paid parking. Never mind, we got more than our money's worth at this event!

There were already a lot of people on the beach and quite a number, both surfers and spectators dressed as Santa Claus. Definitely a festive atmosphere with amplified Christmas songs playing non stop from several speakers. The weather was perfect, a bit overcast with a temperature of around 80F or 27C. Well, this is a typical Florida winter's day!

There were some stalls already set up on the beach selling 'Surfing Santas' T-shirts (we bought one). Some of the stalls were offering free coffee and donuts with only a donation box for charity, and you can put in as much as you like

By 10 am there were some 6,000 people packed on the beach and we all cheered when 500 Santas took to the waves in a sea of red. However, the highlight of the day was when 45 parachutists in full Santa suits put on their skydiving display and landed on the beach in two zones marked "South Pole" and "North Pole", some of them gliding in just a few feet over the heads of spectators.

The celebrations ended with a show of Tahitian dances performed by students of Marta's Legacy Dance Studio and the announcement of lucky winners in the Raffle Drawings. I believe this is the 7th annual Surfing Santa event which was started by a man called George Trosset seven years ago from his beach house, and gradually got so big the event was moved to the public area of Cocoa Beach, and has evolved into an annual tradition.

I am certainly glad that I got this opportunity to take part in the fun and festivities on that day. You take a huge breath of sea air, relax and enjoy. What a spectacular way to spend Christmas Eve at the beach!
Santa Claus is surfing into town
Santa couple arriving
Meeting area for Skydiving Santas
One of the many bars in the beach …
Cho says:
Yes Ils, the title is quite eye catching!
Posted on: Jan 17, 2016
Ils1976 says:
I have to admit ... I love the title! :D
Posted on: Jan 17, 2016
Cho says:
@Em: Yes, I think everybody enjoyed this event!
Posted on: Jan 04, 2016