Sur Real Restaurant

Skyline & Campbell, Tucson, AZ, USA

Sur Real Restaurant Tucson Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
Trendy dinning with Latin American Cuisine Sep 27, 2009
Sur Real is in my opinion a great restaurant: access to it is easy, located at the cross roads of Campbell and Skyline next to La Encantada shopping complex. It is Mark’s birthday party and all SAAC members are invited to celebrate with him at this South American Restaurant set on the hill over looking Tucson. The sun had set on Soleil, that foothills restaurant with the great view of the city: Sur Real ('Real South' in Spanish). Their menu is made up of Brazilian and Spanish dishes. Matt and I arrived a little after 7:00 pm to join the group that had started off at the designated time. Parking was full so we valet parked, I carried the bottle of South African wine we had brought Mark as a present and climbed up the stair to the second floor where the restaurant is located.

Mark had four bar tables reserved for the party and we were able to see our group right upon entering the restaurant. The first thing to catch my eye was the fancy décor, the decor really is "Sur Real". I must confess I did not understand the theme or style they meant to have because it has a combination of modern Italian décor with an 80’s grand style, a classic high rollers setting (more like Vegas Casinos) and a New York style up market restaurant all in one, nonetheless I was amazed at how they got away with the décor, it is beautiful and inviting, the atmosphere is extremely hip and you can tell that the owners did not spare any expense in designing the place: glowing bar, fading colored lights,... the atmosphere is extremely inviting.I was charmed by the view through the grand windows, if they only had an outside patio to enjoy the view. The bar style is more Tequila and Hispanic and the restaurant qualifies for fine dinning with a trendy atmosphere.

They had a few things on special for a mere $5.00 which included a glass of selected South American wines, I ordered a glass of Malbec from Mendoza, Argentina (I got a generous pour in a big red wine glass) and Matt ordered a grand Margarita. Chips and bean dip are brought out to start, and they are so good! Salsa tastes like it was just made. I had a bowl of cabbage soup made with spice and pieces of what tasted like polish sausage (I did not ask) and it was the best soup I have had in Tucson in the more than 2 years I have been resident. The only down side was the waitress did not ask if I wanted bread or any side with my soup. I did not bother I was more excited to meet the friends I had not seen in a few months and to celebrate the birthday. All wines from South America were only $5.00 a glass yeeeha! A few other drinks were also on the $5.00 list, Margaritas, Flirtini, Martini, Vodka blend (not sure what the blend was). Mark was also given a huge glass bowl of darkaree. Sur Real will now be added to one of the few restaurants I recommend in Tucson as a favourite.

I can not write with much confidence on the menu since I did not have a full meal, but a few of my friends said the food was great. My Mexican friend who is a critic of foods from Latin America and Mexico did like what he ate, so I believe the food is agreeable. I was clearly impressed with the service and ambiance of the place, not sure if it was because this was a special reserved group they were catering for or if they are always this way, I shall say they did cater to us quite well, kudos to the service team. Good wine selection, great dry malbec, a generous pour, double what you'd get elsewhere. I recommend this place and will definitely go back again.
The dinning area
Open food counter and service area
The bar
Joe at the bar
Africancrab says:
It was a great place, thanks Jeremy.
Posted on: Sep 27, 2009
vulindlela says:
That sounds great!
Posted on: Sep 27, 2009

Related Travel Blogs About Sur Real Restaurant

Birthday get-together at Sur Real!
Celebrating life is probably one of the most exciting things to do in life; the birth of new life is a miracle and the celebrating of each additional year is an adventure; life is a hunt. Mark has be…Tucson. The sun had set on Soleil, that foothills restaurant with the great view of the city: Sur Real ('Real

Check Tucson Hotel Deals