Sunset Watersports

201 Williams Street, Key West, FL, USA
Sunset Watersports - The giant slide that I could not conquer!
Sunset Watersports - The snorkel site
Sunset Watersports - SPLASH!
Sunset Watersports - SPLASH!
Sunset Watersports - The Sunset Water Sports boat and the Banana ride taking off
Sunset Watersports - Happy in the water

Sunset Watersports Key West Reviews

anupa_rk anupa_rk
For some fun splash time in Key West Sep 04, 2010
Sunset Watersports is a company that Google shows high on its listing when searching for water sports in Key West. Added to that, sites like Travelocity rate it high on the “Things to do” section of their Key West page. And if that wasn’t enough, this company has the cheapest deals in town :D

So when my friends and I decided to spend a quick day in Key West over the Labor day weekend, the Sunset Watersports “All Day Watersports Adventure” seemed like a fun way for us to spend time and splash about in the water as well.

The trip starts at 10 a.m. from the seafront at Williams Avenue. A total of 13 water sports for a grand total of $99 is what the company advertises. Lunch is served on board around noon. And from 3:30 p.m. onwards, there’s free beer! The trip ends at the same point at around 4:30 p.m.

We reached bright and early and had some breakfast at a nearby café. At 10 a.m., on the dot, we set sail. First we were given a bunch of instructions on how the day would proceed.. and where all the equipments for the water sports were. And then we all settled in.. some out in sun.. some others in the dining room downstairs. In about 20 minutes we were at the designated site.

There was a huge water slide floating about in the water.. which I reckoned was one of the water sports. There also was a sunken ship.. which was the snorkel site.

My only complaint at this time was that it didn’t seem like there was any order to be maintained. It was a free for all. Anyone could do anything at any time. It seemed a little disorganized to my checklist-oriented brain. But the captain of the boat assured us that there was plenty of time for everyone to try their hand at everything.

So we all set about find life jackets or vests that fit us. There were plenty to go around, in total number. But understandably, the medium sizes were in short supply!

The Captain pointed us to the boundaries that he wanted us to maintain while snorkeling and when on the jet skis and wave runners. He was very particular about safety and insisted on non-swimmers getting a crash course in basic swimming even though they all had life jackets.

The snorkel site was – expectedly, basic. There were some pretty fish around and the sunken ship was interesting. But nothing to really write home about. There were a bunch of Kayaks that we spent a great deal of time on. And then there was the parasailing and the jet skis. I was not very confident that I would last even a few seconds on a ski on the ocean! So I let that one pass.

The highlight of the sports for everyone was the Banana Ride! Good fun, even though the ride itself was quite short.

The huge slide that had been bobbing around in the water was completely unachievable! On one side, it was a slide. And on the other, it had footholds that you had to grasp and haul yourself up using. It was worse than mock-rock climbing!!!! I couldn’t pull myself up past the first level. I saw some other people manage it. But it was only with the help of guys in their groups. So that was a little disappointing. The slide really looked like a lot of fun!

The wave runners were the real disappointment, though. To start off, there were only 4 of them. And then when the captain realized that most people were either falling off too often or not being able to get back on.. or even losing the key, he assigned one crew person to hop on one of the waverunners and keep track of everyone else.

So that left us with just three. And there were, maybe 50-60 people on board.

And then when one of the riders lost a key and couldn’t locate it, we all realized that this was going to be a long long wait.

In the end, our time was up and the queue for the waverunners wasn’t any shorter. There was a lot of grumbling over that.

The lunch was decent. Hot dogs, burgers and fries… including a veggie burger. Free soda as well. And after 3:30, free beer!

There were a bunch of photographers on board who made good use of the fact that we were all forever drenched and our cameras were quite useless :D

At the end of the trip, they offered us a CD with all our pictures for $40 a piece. That, I thought, was quite steep.

The sunset watersports office has a gift shop attached to it and there is a parking lot just across the road from it as well.

Final verdict – it’s a nice option if all you want to do it relax with friends and have some splash time. But real water sports desirers would be better off elsewhere!
The Sunset Water Sports boat and t…
The snorkel site
The giant slide that I could not c…
Hang on!!!
anupa_rk says:
Thanks Keith :)
Posted on: Sep 12, 2010
anupa_rk says:
Your wish is my command, senor! :D
(I am so thrilled that I didnt need Google to tell me what you wrote!)
Posted on: Sep 10, 2010
fransglobal says:
Muy intersante pero me gustaria ver mas fotos :D
Posted on: Sep 10, 2010