Sunroute Umeda Hotel

Sunroute Umeda Hotel Rates and Deals

Sunroute Umeda Hotel Osaka Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
Tiny single rooms May 10, 2013
Hotel Sunroute Umeda is located a 10 minutes walk from Osaka Umeda station. I arrived after check in time (3 pm), so check in was no problem. It was efficient and most of the staff spoke English. I asked if I could have a quiet room away from the noisy street traffic.

The room I got was on the 5th floor on the corner of the hotel. Right in front of a two level expressway. It was also the tiniest room I have ever seen. A shoe box would be spacious compared to this. I therefore went back to the reception and asked if I could change room.

At first it was completely impossible. The receptionist said "You must know that we can´t accommodate everyone". I´m not sure if it was her understanding of English or if she deliberately was rude. In my opinion her English was too good not to understand what she was saying. I wasn´t going to give up and finally she went to the back office and got a colleague to help. Suddenly I had a room on the ladies floor (10th floor). It turned out that she wasn´t authorized to change guest rooms. How frustrating it must be to work in a reception, but not being able to do the job properly.

The new room was almost the same kind and same size as the first, so no point in changing really. It´s the second time I get a room on a ladies floor. I have always found Japan a very safe country and didn´t know that they needed special floors for women. When I got out of the elevator I had to touch a reader with an electronic device, which was on the room key, to open the door to the hallway. Then I could go to my room.

I had booked a single room. This was the smallest single room I have ever seen. I had barely entered the room before I stared to feel claustrophobic. A comfortable bed and a desk were all there were room for in there. The space between the bed and the desk was just big enough for a normal sized person to pass. Luggage space was non existing! Besides the bed and the desk the room had free wi-fi, a kettle, a nanocare, PJs and a fridge. They were so paranoid about saving on electricity, so every afternoon/evening I returned to my room, the fridge had been turned off. If you don´t have your own computer, you can use the one in the lobby at a charge. You feed it with 100 yen coins, or you can rent a laptop for 1000 yen pr day. On my last day the wi-fi didn´t work!

The air in the room was quite stuffy. I turned on the AC and set it to 20C/68F. It spewed out hot air. At this time of the year, the AC is set to hot air only. It was not possible to cool down the room, so I opened the window. The noise from the two level expressway right outside was unbearable.

The bathroom was even tinier than the room and had the smallest tub I have ever seen. I dropped something on the floor, but could´t bend down to pick it up without hitting my head in the wall. I had to step out of the bathroom, then I could grab it from the entrance. If you are anything heavier than a fairly slim person forget about booking a single room at the Hotel Sunroute Umeda.

I had breakfast included in the room rate. If you don´t it´s an extra 1260 yen. The restaurant was small, but nice and cosy. They advertised both Japanese and Western buffet. The only western thing I saw was cornflakes.

The hotel is clean, bed it comfortable, but service was not more than average. I don´t know what the double rooms look like, but I will not book a single room at this hotel again.
Hotel Sunroute Umeda
Guest PC
sarahsan says:
In general I agree with your friend Brian! There is a difference between Chinese and Japanese. The polite mask can be quite frustrating. You never know what they really think.
Posted on: May 11, 2013
spocklogic says:
I have a Chinese friend who believes the Japanese are supercilious, so to speak, and demonstrate extended politeness to teach you such ways, but he says it is not a true way because behind the scenes it is different. I really don't know and I never like to judge people either.
Posted on: May 11, 2013
Vinceng Vinceng
Nov 23, 2009
Fantastic.... the hotel is clean, the beds are comfy, and the location is great... walking distance from the heart of the city, this is a great home base for checking out the sites around Osaka. But be warned..... if this is your first trip to Japan, the rooms are quite a bit small than North American hotel rooms.... aside from the size issue, the rooms themselves are terrific, so if you make it to Osaka, I definitely recommend this place

Sunroute Umeda Hotel Overview

The Sunroute Umeda Hotel Osaka is an accommodation in Osaka that is near the city center, about one kilometer in distance. There are still some shopping areas near the hotel and its position in the city is still convenient to many other travel destinations. The Sunroute Umeda Hotel Osaka is located at 3-9-1 Toyosaki Kita-Ku 531-0072 in Osaka, Japan. This site is ten minutes' walking distance from the JR Osaka train station and 45 kilometers from the airport.

The Sunroute Umeda Hotel Osaka has 218 rooms for rent. Guests can look forward to air conditioned units, spacious rooms, direct dial telephones and TV.

Amenities at the Sunroute Umeda Hotel Osaka include on-site restaurants like the Renga Kan Restaurant (serving Japanese style cuisine) and the Prunier Restaurant (serving French cuisine). For business travelers, the hotel has some well-equipped rooms for conferencing and private meetings. Guests can also look forward to a walk-through garden and banqueting facilities. This is a low budget hotel.

Sunroute Umeda Hotel Amenities