Sunrise Cafe

(217) 753-1311

Sunrise Cafe Springfield Reviews

ahtibat17 ahtibat17
Breakfast Served All Day Jan 24, 2010
The Sunrise Cafe is a well-kept Springfield secret. I had driven by and noticed that they advertised breakfast served all day. Awesome! I love breakfast, and more often than not, I even have it for dinner. I really didn't have to look over the menu -- I knew I wanted pancakes, so I looked over the pancake options, and saw fruit pancakes -- yup, that's exactly what I was looking for. I ordered a short-stack of strawberry pancakes. Once they were ready, the waitress asked me if I wanted whipped cream on them... sure, why not? And when she brought them to me, she'd made whipped cream smiley face. :) These pancakes were exactly what I wanted. They tasted like my mom could have made them. Nice and fluffy and delicious. And the strawberries and whipped cream made the whole thing taste like a strawberry shortcake. It was yummy -- 'yummy in my tummy'!

Just by the ambiance of the restaurant, you can tell it's been here awhile. It had a real home-town feel, the waitresses are very friendly, but can be described as... gruff, for lack of a better word. They greeted customers by name, and brought 'the usual'. The Sunrise Cafe is definitely a local blue-collar place, busdrivers were eating and customers were reading newspapers. I don't think you'll find any of the Chicago legislators in this place!

I really loved the classic orange stools at the counter, and you can watch the cooks at the grill from the window. And even the plates and coffee mugs are classic diner-white ceramic. This place is not trying to be retro -- it's a diner that has stood the test of time.

Even though they serve breakfast all day, they do offer a full lunch and dinner menu, with specials for both.

The Sunrise Cafe reminded me of home. I can't wait to go back!

Check Springfield Hotel Deals