Sundari Jaal

Kathmandu, Nepal

Sundari Jaal Kathmandu Reviews

kayguarnay kayguarn…
The birthplace of the Mighty Bagmati, and so much more! Oct 08, 2014
I went with my Nepali friends to visit Sundari Jaal yesterday. I've heard about it in the past, but never got a chance to see it in person. What an amazing place! This is the sacred source of the mighty Bagmati River that I walk by and over every day on my way to work. You take a 30 minute bus from Chabahil Chowk towards Sundari Jaal and the bus drops you off right at the beginning of the hike. My Hindu friends told me that there is a time (I think during Dashain) where they go barefoot up to the source of the Bagmati to bring back water for the house deities, now that I have been there I have a new found respect for the devotion. This is not an easy hike! I just returned from the base camp of Annapurna, and I would liken some of the stairs and steps on this hike to those of our approach to base camp. Don't let that dissuade you, though. It is very much a doable hike and is worth every bit of effort. It will grace you with gorgeous waterfalls, very interesting temples and a sense of wonder of such a historical and meaningful place. If you come at the "right time", it will also make you feel quite romantic, as local youths congregate here for those purposes, too. They are rather cute.

All in all, I spent a short time here, but would recommend a day trip. If you are into Canyoneering - there is a place for this, swimming? -definitely beautiful place for that, and in general it is a hike well worth it.

As an "external" visitor, they will ask you for your current address and 500 rps, which is nothing to pay in relation to what a wonderful, inspiring place this is. If you have a whole day, you can even hike up to the village at the top!
Kumar's family!
The pipeline for our water!

Check Kathmandu Hotel Deals