Sun Temple

Modhera, India

Sun Temple Modhera Reviews

Vipin Vipin
Fantastic sculpture, remote location Feb 06, 2011
Built in the eleventh century, the Sun Temple is obviously dedicated to the sun god!

The site is composed of three parts:

- Surya Kund (this is the water feature with rather intricately carved steps. The steps are dotted with the odd altar to various Hindu gods, but the water feature itself is dedicated to the Sun god.)

- Sabha Mandap (this is a hall which would have been used for religious gatherings and conferences.)

- Guda Mandap (the main heart of the site which would have contained the idol of the sun god at some point.)

I really liked the water feature and it was very fun to walk down there. The carvings on both mandaps are incredible too. The Sun god doesn’t appear to feature as heavily, and the main part of the sculpture is devoted to other key figures of the Hindu pantheon (e.g. Krishna and Shiva) and key scenes are depicted from scriptures such as the Mahabharata and Ramayana.

The site is very easy to walk around. It gets very hot here, so I recommend you bring adequate water supplies (though there is a café near the entrance). Guides are loitering around the site if you want one, and I’m sure they speak in Hindi, Gujarati and English.

This temple is well off the beaten path so if you want to come here, it’ll take a little planning. I recommend using Mehsana as a base, and then making it as a day trip by getting the bus from there. Mehsana is easily accessible from Ahmedabad but the place has virtually nothing to do!! Once you get to the bus station in Modhera, it’s a straightforward five minute walk (every local will be happy to point it out to you).

The location is remote, but it’s not a bad little visit if you’re prepared to put in the effort!

Related Travel Blogs About Sun Temple

(1) Tummy I had a lie in today. I don’t know whether it was the street food but I developed a case of the Delhi belly today. Although I didn’t feel bad, it was just really an…Modhera today. The sun temple there was meant to be very impressive, and after reading up on it, I thought…
(3) Arrival    Although the bus was only an hour long, I found that the constant chats meant that I was there in no time. After wondering where the sun temple was, I was directed b…sun temple was, I was directed by several helpful locals along the way. The walk was rather direct and straightforward. I found Modhera
Modhera Map