706 Union, Memphis, TN, USA

Sun Studio Memphis Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Where it all started May 27, 2012
I was driving into Memphis when I saw a sign to Sun Studio and I decided on the spot that I would go there. Sun Studio probably the most famous recording studio in the world. Sun Studio opened by rock pioneer Sam Phillips on January 3, 1950. It was originally called Memphis Recording Service, sharing the same building with the Sun Records label business.

Reputedly the first rock-and-roll single, Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats' "Rocket 88" was recorded there in 1951 with song composer Ike Turner on keyboards, leading the studio to claim status as the birthplace of rock & roll. Blues and R&B artists like Howlin' Wolf, Junior Parker, Little Milton, B.B. King, James Cotton, Rufus Thomas, and Rosco Gordon recorded there in the early 1950s.

Rock-and-roll, country music, and rockabilly artists, including Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Charlie Feathers, Ray Harris, Warren Smith, Charlie Rich, and Jerry Lee Lewis, recorded there throughout the mid to late 1950s until the studio outgrew its Union Avenue location.

The studio was a great place to visit and the number of tour buses passing by was incredible, even though it was fairly easy to get a parking space for the car and enter the place. I walked around in the small place looking at the merchandise until their tour started. After that all the guests left and I had the place almost for myself.
ahtibat17 ahtibat17
Music Mecca Dec 07, 2009
If you are a fan of country music, rock-n-roll, Johnny Cash or Elvis Presley -- you absolutely must go to the music mecca of Sun Studio. This is the birthplace of rock-n-roll. Legends like Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis and the King himself, Elvis Presley recorded here.

The tour of Sun Studio takes you through a small museum with various pieces of memorabilia, including Elvis' high school diploma. Then, you go to the actual recording studio, all it its original condition. Our guide gave us historical information and played different pieces of music that were recorded there. She even displayed Johnny Cash's intuitive percussion -- a dollar bill on a guitar. He did this because 1) he couldn't afford drums at the time and 2) the Grand Ole Opry didn't allow drums.

We were able to stand behind the actual microphone that these music greats used to perform. The closest I will ever come to being behind a mike!

Our guide really made our tour come alive. She was a spunky 20-something and she did an excellent job, sharing information and answering questions.

If you are musically inclined, the studio is still open, allowing for the public (whoever can afford the session) to record.
Elvis' high School diplome
Sam Phillips' Secretary's desk

Related Travel Blogs About Sun Studio

My List of 1000 Places to See Before You Die
La Mezquita, Spain (6/2000) The Alhambra, Spain (6/2000) Seville, Spain (6/2000) La Catedral de Toledo, Spain (6/2000) Madrid, Spain (6/2000): Palacio Real; Plaza Mayor; El Prado Giverny, France…Sun Studios, Tennessee (7/2009) Memphis' Rib Joints: Rendezvous, Tennessee (7/2009) The National Mall, Washington, DC (4/2000) Nashville's Music Scene…
The irony of Memphis
Leaving Nashville was a bit hellish, as we were caught in a torrential downpour for about an hour. It's terrible sharing the two-lane highway with tens of tractor trailers and SUVs, trying to navigat…Sun Studios near downtown. I had visited back in 1989 on a family trip, but George has never been to Memphis

Check Memphis Hotel Deals