Sun Rise Restaurant

Nyaung Shwe, Myanmar

Sun Rise Restaurant Nyaung Shwe Reviews

Stormcrow Stormcrow
You want great food for free? This is as close as you are going to get! Jan 25, 2008
After more than a week of Burmese food, my Dutch stomach craved something Western. Somewhere in Nyaungshwe I had seen a sign that said "Pancakes" and the moment I started getting hungry in the evening I kicked into "Pancake-mode". I wasn't just looking for a restaurant selling pancakes, I was on the prowl!

Nyaungshwe is used to tourists and so are many of the restaurants. We felt like getting away from tourism and wandered away from the main street, into a street heading out of the village. It didn't take long (still well in the village) until we spotted Sunrise Restaurant. A tiny place, across the street of one or two better known restaurants. It had an open air terrace, only two or three small tables, and a couple of tables inside. Only two members of staff were present, the man of the house being the waiter and the lady of the house taking care of the cooking.

The choices on the menu were limited, but my pancake was absolutely delish and the fish course my wife had wasn't half bad either ("Fish very good, fresh from market today", was the gentlemens advice).

Adding to the atmosphere was the fact that we had an obligatory candlelight dinner. This was one of many times that the power in Nyaungshwe failed and the poor family just can't afford a generator, like the touristic restaurants can.

When we got the bill and I accidentally paid a couple of thousand Kyat too much, the man returned my money, telling me that I had made a mistake. I told him he could keep the money, as a reward for his honesty (he could've kept it in the first place, without me noticing it). Speaking of paying bills, the meals were virtually for free.

Obviously we ate in Sunrise restaurant for the rest of our stay in Nyaungshwe, and everyone going there, should try it once at least!!
tvillingmarit says:
Understand your Pancake mode, as I have been eating pancakes in Schewreningen(?) and I love them.
Posted on: Oct 06, 2008