Sun Restaurant

www.suncuisines.com - (716) 447-0202

Sun Restaurant Buffalo Reviews

Cho Cho
Burmese restaurant in Buffalo Aug 11, 2015
On our way home from touring New York state we returned to Buffalo as our flight back to Florida was from Buffalo/Niagara International airport. We had decided earlier that we would spend one night in Buffalo to look around the city before flying home the next evening.

As we drove into the city looking for a hotel to spend the night, I stopped somewhere on a street to look at a map. As I was walking around the area to stretch my legs and also ask for directions, I came upon this restaurant by chance. When I looked at the sign it said, 'Authentic Burmese and Thai cuisine.' Imagine my astonishment to find a Burmese restaurant in the middle of Buffalo!

Anyway, I went inside just to check it out. The head waiter at the reception desk greeted me, and at the spur of the moment I spoke to him in Burmese. Another surprise, he replied to me in perfect Burmese! It was around 9 pm and the place was full. Even at that late hour, some people were waiting to be seated. Not wanting to impose on him too much, I asked him for suggestions on motels nearby and after I got directions I told him that we would come back for lunch the following day.

The next morning we checked out of the motel and was at the restaurant by 11:30 am their daily opening hour. This time the manager was behind the desk, and he also happened to be Burmese. We chit chatted for a few minutes and one of the waitresses showed us to our table. Even at this early hour there was a large group of Asian people at a long table. As we settled down, the same girl who seated us came and handed out the menus. It looked quite extensive. We decided to order a plate of coconut prawns, chicken curry, fried gourd (served with hot/sour sauce) and plain rice which came with the chicken curry. Instead of cold drinks we ordered a pot of green tea which was quite good.

While we were waiting for our food the place quickly filled up. Nearly all of the clientele were Caucasians. I wasn't really that surprised as I had read earlier on Trip Advisor where rave reviews were written about this place. However, I was a bit disappointed with the chicken curry. Nothing wrong with it, except it was too mild. I was expecting it to be fairly hot and spicy, as Burmese dishes usually are. When the manager came around to ask how everything was I mentioned to him about the curry not being spicy enough. His reply was that since most of the people who come to eat there were locals they had to tone down the curries to suit the American taste buds. He mentioned that we could have told the waitress when we ordered. Well, perhaps next time if we're ever in Buffalo again.

In any case, it was an enjoyable meal as it was my first time eating in a Burmese restaurant in the United States since I moved over here permanently. The bill came up to a little over $30 which I thought was reasonable. Besides the main menu of Burmese dishes, one can have Thai food too, although we didn't try it. There is also a wide range of beverages; wine, imported beer, even Japanese sake available at the Black Rice Bar.

By the time we left the place was packed. On our way out, I mentioned to the manager how happy he must be to be working in a popular restaurant. He smiled and said to make reservations if we ever come back to eat here.

I imagine there is a sizable Myanmar/Burmese community in the Buffalo area as there is a Burmese grocery store near the restaurant. We even stopped at this store to pick up a few Burmese delicacies. The owner of the store was very friendly. She spoke with a southern Burmese accent. and when I asked her where she was from she told me her hometown is in Mawlamyine formerly known as Moulmein which Rudyard Kipling the famous English writer wrote about in his "Road To Mandalay" poem. (excerpts below). Unfortunately, the items I wanted were all out of stock!

"By the old Moulmein Pagoda, lookin' lazy at the sea,

There's a Burma girl a-settin', and I know she thinks o' me;

For the wind is in the palm-trees, and the Temple-bells they say:

"Come you back, you British soldier; come you back to Mandalay!"
Sun Restaurant from outside street
Close up of restaurant sign
Awards won and reviews written abo…
More awards and reviews on the wal…
Cho says:
Good to hear that you like your food a bit spicy, Bill. I grew up with hot/spicy food, so am used to it!
Posted on: Jul 27, 2015
Zagnut66 says:
Americans love their food on the mild side, though I enjoy it on the spicy side.
Posted on: Jul 27, 2015