Summit Brewing Company

Summit Brewing Company - My oatmeal stout beer

Summit Brewing Company Saint Paul Reviews

pinchora pinchora
Some good Micro Brew Fun May 11, 2008
So my roomie, her boyfriend and his friend and I went to Summit Brewery. Summit originated in 1986 near the U of M and 2 years later came to the plant. The Tour was alright... I think it could've been better but the tour guide we had was quiet, used cards with the information on it, and stammered alot like he was nervous... so I don't know if he was new or not. The other tour guide seemded much more exciting... sigh.

I went on a saturday when the plant was shutdown so you get to see nothing going on. but on tuesday the plant is up and running. The one nice thing about going here is you'll get 3 free tokens to get 3 free beers of your choice in half pint glasses... I didn't eat anything before I got there so good thing I wasn't driving because I got a little tispy.

But the beer that I tried was awesome, I had the oatmeal stout which is like a Schmidwicks, and there's a Scandia which actually has a taste of orange peel in it and I had one that sounded like a Hefe Weisen and it tastes like a MGD. I preferred the first 2 which were delicious. They sell Summit in 13 states including Montana, Colorado, South Dakota, North Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illionois, Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Pennsylvania and of course Minnesota. If you want to find out where to buy it at in your state check out the web page!

If you do want to read about them, Michael Jackson, noted international beer expert, attended the opening and praised the new local beer for its superb flavor and authenticity.

Friday

In St. Paul, Minn., I sampled the first beer to be run through the filters at the new Summit Brewery. "Will this be a glass for sale?" I asked. "That's what we're here to determine," replies founder Mark. Stutrud. The new brewery, with traditional copper kettles from Germany, will be fully on stream by the end of November.

I tasted IPA from the old place. And I'm dazzled by its balance of oily maltiness and earthy hoppiness.

Hops are East Kent Goldings. This is what an English IPA should be like, though only Fuller's version comes close. Both are quite different that the much more floral style of the Pacific Northwest.

Me, I enjoy both interpretations ...

Published Online: OCT 9, 1998

Published in Print: OCT 9, 1998

In: Beer Hunter Online
My oatmeal stout beer
adam excited about his tokens for …

Check Saint Paul Hotel Deals