Sumiyoshi Taisha Shrine

Osaka, Japan

Sumiyoshi Taisha Shrine Osaka Reviews

reikunboy reikunboy
Feb 16, 2008
I knew I had found a secret spot in Osaka from the very first time I crossed the Taiko bridge that marks the entance to the Sumiyoshi Taisha shrine. The first thing that hits you is the splashes of bright orange that comes from the rays of sunlight reflecting from the main building of the shrine. The shrine is painted in a bright orange that represents the religion shinto.

The shrine is dedicated to Shinto gods associated with the sea and sea travel, in commemoration of a safe passage to Korea by a third century empress.

The shrine actually survived the bombing during the war so some of the buildings date back to 1810. The shrine offers the visitor a chance to see a shinto shrine that predates the influence of Chinese Buddhist architectural style. The main buildings are roofed with a kind of hatch rather than the tiles of most later shrines.

For me though the best thing about Sumiyoshi Taisha Shrine is the Taiko bridge with its cool arches and the 700 stone lanterns that seafarers and business people have donated to the shrine.

If you can't see the temples and shrines of Kyoto and Nara when your in Kansai then I reccomend you make it Out to Sumiyoshi Taisha which is located on the Nankai line get off at the station with the same name as the shrine only 200 yen from Namba.

You will be able able to enjoy a nice stroll around in the peace and harmony of the shrines ground where very few foriegners go it makes a great little trip
taiko bridge
taiko bridge
main entrance to sumiyoshi taisha
jteddyb says:
All the times I went to Osaka, I never visited this spot, but I remember the name. Thanks for giving us a bit of its history.
Posted on: Feb 23, 2008
mellemel8 says:
that is gorgeous, thanks and congrats on being "featured".
Posted on: Feb 20, 2008
glennisnz says:
Congratulations on being featured, if ever I am in the area I must go see this shrine.
Posted on: Feb 20, 2008