Sumidagawa Youth Hostel

Check Tokyo Hotel Deals

Sumidagawa Youth Hostel Tokyo Reviews

Art- Art-
Dull and quiet BEWARE CURFEW! Avoid Apr 09, 2011
I didn't realize until I turned up that this place has a curfew at around 11pm. Doors close and dont open till early next morning, So unless you're prepared to spend your time in Tokyo getting to bed early every night, stay somewhere else. Also it is dark and quiet and all the people I met were no fun. I recommend Tokyo Hostel in Minowa instead, very funky and enjoyable place where I met a lot of girls and there's no curfew.
Art- Art-
Nice and quiet if thats what youre into... but beware the curfew! Sep 09, 2010
VERY very quiet, not many young people. Not much happening at all. If you're old and want a good night's sleep at a reasonable price you will definitely get it here. But you probably won't meet anyone or discover anything interesting.

I didn't realise when I booked that there was an 11pm curfew! Doors close and don't open till 6:30am the next morning. This pretty much makes it impossible to get out there and enjoy the nightlife of the city. I don't know about you but I didn't fly around the world to be in bed by 10:30pm in a city of 20mil.

After two nights here I moved to Tokyo Hostel in Minowa which was MUCH better. Very funky and colourful and I met lots of great people! Also there was a bathroom/TV in the rooms instead of down the hall.
Doc_Zenith Doc_Zeni…
Nice hostel, no problems Nov 10, 2009
The Sumidagawa Youth Hostel is located in Taito-ku, not far from Akihabara and Asakusa (5 min) and Ueno and Tokyo station(10 min). A trainstation and subwaystation are within a range of 5 minutes walking.

For me, the hostel was not difficult to find, just follow the directions given by the friendly staff.

Rooms are shared (mine with 5 other people), toilet and (a private) shower are also shared. Laundry is possible, 100 yen each and internet is also available, 50 yen for half an hour. Wifi is also avaiable (free).

Breakfast/diner are not an option.

The accomodation itself is a bit old, but it's all clean. Lockers are available (and free) for every person.

I've had some problems with the bed and the checkin/out times are a bit strange for a city like Tokyo (shouldn't it be always open?), but apart from that it's a fair accomodation for the 3000y/night I've paid.
Entrance
inkie1010 inkie1010
Great place to stay in Tokyo Nov 10, 2009
I spent 5 nights in Sumidagawa Youth hostel. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The hostel is clean. I stayed on the 4th floor (ladies floor) and the rooms there where very nice with tatami on the floor and those Japanese screens. There is a difference in beds though, there are good beds with a thick matrass, but also ones with a thin one. And of course there are tatami-only rooms too.

The only thing I did not really like about the rooms was that they were noisy. There was a woman in the room next to me snoring so loud that I could not sleep. But the hostel staff arranged another room for me, which was great service.

Unfortunately there are no breakfast or dinner facilities, but there is a self-catering kitchen and there are many shops and restaurants nearby.

The common room has internet facilities (3 computers) and there is free WIFI available too. The hostel is closed between 10am and 5pm, but I did not care about that, enough to do in Tokyo! :D

The location is perfect, it's a very short walk to JR station Asakusabashi and only one stop away from Akihabara and 10 minutes from Tokyo Station. The metrostation is also very nearby and in 2 stops you are in front of the Asakusa temple.

The neighbourhood is very quiet, which makes Sumidagawa a great place to stay in a busy city like Tokyo!
One of the common rooms :)
liekevo says:
Wat ik me vooral herinner is dat ik tot heel laat heb zitten kletsen in die common room :)
Posted on: Nov 11, 2009
inkie1010 says:
:D hoe vond je het? :D
Posted on: Nov 10, 2009
liekevo says:
Hier ben ik ook geweest :)
Posted on: Nov 10, 2009

Related Travel Blogs About Sumidagawa Youth Hostel

Tokyo
We stayed at the Sumidagawa International Youth Hostel.  The hostel was very clean and there was a very friendly atmosphere with a varied mix of travellers from all around the world. On our fir…Sumidagawa International Youth Hostel.  The hostel was very clean and there was a very friendly atmosphere with a varied mix of travellers from all around the world…

Check Tokyo Hotel Deals