Sultan Ahmet Mosque

Istanbul, Turkey

Sultan Ahmet Mosque Istanbul Reviews

EmEm EmEm
What a Magnificent Mosque in the World! Jun 07, 2017
What is the first landmark to see in Istanbul after arrival? I guess you know the answer: Sultan Ahmet Mosque, also called the Blue Mosque due to its interior colour. The priceless tiles inside the mosque are excellent examples of the tile art of the period. This monument has become the symbol of Istanbul.

I came down the Divan Yolu Cd. and saw a mosque with six minarets. There was no doubt, it was the famous Blue Mosque! There are sixteen sherefes, muezzin's platforms, on the mosque's minarets. That is due the fact that Sultan Ahmet I, who commissioned the mosque, was the 14th sultan in the Ottoman succession.

The architect of the mosque was Sedefkar Mehmet Aga, one of the apprentices of Mimar Sinan.

Coming closer through the gardens to the entrance I saw a long line of visitors waiting to get inside the mosque. When I approached the door I got two skarves to cover my head and legs, to be properly dressed for the sacred place. I got also a plastic bag to take my shoes with me.

Then comes the most impressive moment of all: I was inside of the most beautiful building I have ever seen in my life! I walked slowly around trying to absorb every detail on its walls. My feet felt all softness of the richly decorated carpet. Throught the painted glass windows the sunlight gave the special mystique to the place.

On the exit I placed skarves into a basket for it and gave a little donation for the maintenance of the mosque. Turbe or the tomb of Sultan Ahmet I is in the gardens of the mosque, in a building next to the front courtyard.

Since then I visit this mosque whenever I am back in Istanbul.
a view from the terrace of hotel A…
HORSCHECK says:
Great review with brilliant photos - Thanks for your congrats on my latest award.
Posted on: Mar 04, 2017
anupa_rk says:
I agree! Beautiful place. I especially loved going there in the evening to see it all lit up and sit in the park surrounding the mosque.
Posted on: Jul 10, 2016
hightide says:
I hope I can visit soon
Posted on: Jul 09, 2016
irenem irenem
Sultan Ahmet or The Blue Mosque Feb 25, 2017
Sultan Ahmet Mosque is hardly surprisingly located in the Sultanahmet area of Istanbul. This mosque is also known as the blue mosque because its walls are covered with more than 20,000 beautiful blue iznik tiles.

This mosque was built between 1609 and 1616, during the reign of Sultan Ahmet I. It was built on the site of the former palace of the Byzantine emperors next to the hippodrome and facing Hagia Sophia.Sultan Ahmet Mosque has one main dome, six minarets, and eight secondary domes. It was designed by the architect, Sedefkâr Mehmed Agha, who was a pupil of Mimar Sinan. Sultan Ahmet was criticised for adding six minarets to his mosque. At that time only the mosque of the Ka'aba in Mecca had six minarets.

The sultan went ahead with his plans but paid for a seventh minaret to be added to the mosque of the Ka'aba in Mecca.

As I said above the walls of the mosque are covered with beautiful blue tiles, the floors are covered with beautiful Turkish carpets. Several ornate chandeliers hang from the ceiling. Female visitors to the mosque must cover their heads. Scarves can be borrowed for this purpose. All visitors must remove their shoes. The mosque is closed to non-Muslims during prayer times.
Sultanahmet Mosque