Sukau Rainforest Lodge, Sukau

Sukau, Malaysia

Sukau Rainforest Lodge, Sukau Reviews

JAW5623 JAW5623
A nice eco-lodge in the rainforest Jan 02, 2012
I had the pleasure of spending three nights at the Sukau Rainforest Lodge along the shore of the Kinabatangan River. I drove from Sandakan and left my car at Lepit jetty for the few nights I was there. There was a bit of a mix-up in getting me picked-up from the jetty but the on-side manager Donnie was there to welcome me upon my arrival and was very accommodating. I was taken to my room, which had recently been remodeled. For a room in the rainforest, it was very nice and provided two beds, a nice bathroom, and a sun room. There is a boardwalk behind the hotel that lets you wander worry-free through the rainforest where you can spot macaques, hornbills, and if you are lucky an orangutan or even a pygmy elephant. My guide, Jumairi, was extremely nice and passionate about his work. He helped us spot wildlife (snakes, birds, elephants, etc.) around the Kinabatangan river. Food is served on a wooden terrace/jetty built over the river, and you are well fed (for non-vegetarians) throughout the stay. Overall, I would highly recommend a stay at the Sukau Rainforest Lodge.
chantelleindia chantell…
Sukau rainforest Borneo Jul 27, 2010
An adventurous person that i am, i've always fancied staying in a rainforest. And will be going to one soon in Malaysia. The beautiful Sukau rainforest lodge welcomes you and your loved ones, here you can feel the pleasures of a home, you’re bound to enjoy your stay at Sukau, Malaysia.

With around 20 rooms and facilities galore, you’re sure to be spoilt for choice here. Be it solar hot water heaters, four stroke engines and electric motor for river cruise, rainwater harvesting, use of recycled cooking oil for lighting, every minute detail of your need is taken care of.

What are you entitled to in this eco lodge? There are many facilities to spoil you silly. Some of these are;

Plush guestrooms

The Gomantong hall and gift shop

Kari Boardwalk

Melapi Restaurant and jetty complete with sunset deck

Four bird and wildlife viewing decks

1,500 ft long covered hornbill Boardwalk complete with two elephant passes.

One of the things you must do at this rainforest lodge is the ride between Sandakan and the Sukau Rainforest Lodge up the Kinabatangan River using four strokes / twin engines speedboats. Enjoy this two and half hour journey as you spot some of the ten species of primates along with the wild orang Utan, proboscis monkey, and some of the eights species of hornbills and the endemic Borneo Pygmy elephant. Exciting na? I can't wait to get there.

Claim to fame? Over the years the Sukau Rainforest Lodge has been privileged to receive many ecotourism distinctions and recognitions the recent being covered in the prestigious National Geographic Adventure's magazine 2009 (50 Top Jungle Lodges).
Sukau Map