AsiaJapanTokyoTokyo Tips

Subway Use - On the platform at Narita

Subway Use Tokyo Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
Using the subway Oct 04, 2013
Inside Japan, our tour company, supplied us with preloaded Manaca cards which we found easy to use as the system is the same as the Oyster one we are so used to in London - you put the card flat on the reader as you go through the gate to catch your train, and do the same as you leave the station, and the fare is deducted from the total on your card. When you need to you can top up the funds via machines in every station.

If you are used to an urban transport system in another city (the London Underground, the New York subway, the Paris Metro) you will have little trouble in planning your route here nor in following it. Determine which line you need to catch (all are colour-coded) and in which direction, and follow the signs - which are helpfully in English as well as Japanese. On the train you will find that the next station is clearly announced each time, so you shouldn't miss your stop. One thing to be aware of though is that changing lines at a transfer station may involve exiting the station and walking a little way at street level to re-enter for the other line (Kuramai is one example of those we used, on the Oedo and Asakusa Lines). And even when you can connect below ground you may have to walk some distance. A useful map of the entire system (http://www.wa-pedia.com/images/content/TokyoSubwayMap.gif) shows several stations which straddle a lot of lines in this way.
On the platform at Narita
Train approaching
Helpful map
Warning sign on the platform

Related Travel Blogs About Subway Use

Japan (Asia Trip Part 1)
28th September 2011 Japan (Asia Trip Part 1) Chapter One - The Concrete Jungle I’m back backpacking again. After living in Kangarooland for almost 2 years and breaking my balls labouring for…Tokyo subway has reception yet bars the use of calls. One thing we do have in common, interfere or break…
Exploring Tokyo via subway
We woke up to a rainy day. Looking out the window from our hotel room, I saw people walking on the streets with umbrellas. The train track is right next to the hotel and we could see trains go by. …subway systems, Toei and Tokyo lines, unlimted use for the day) It made our life so much easier. I would…
Japan: From Narita to Tokyo & Japan's Transportation System
I arrived in Japan through Narita Airport. As usual, the customs officer had a serious face on, as he tried to be professional and aloof. But with my excitement, I just smiled at him, refusing my moo…Tokyo 's trains and subways. A SUICA IC Card is a rechargeable prepaid IC card of Japan Rail - similar to New York City's Metrocard. It can be used

Check Tokyo Hotel Deals