Suaka Margasatwa Muara Angke (SMMA)

Jakarta, Indonesia
Suaka Margasatwa Muara Angke - one year old mangrove with bamboo brace
Suaka Margasatwa Muara Angke - water hyacinth closes water surface
Suaka Margasatwa Muara Angke - water hyacinth
Suaka Margasatwa Muara Angke - water hyacinth closes water surface
Suaka Margasatwa Muara Angke - Pidada (Sonneratia caseolaris), mangrove, long-tailed monkey diet. Delicious for Rujak and Jam.
Suaka Margasatwa Muara Angke - part of 843 meters wooden bridge
Suaka Margasatwa Muara Angke - part of 843 meters wooden bridge

Check Jakarta Hotel Deals

Suaka Margasatwa Muara Angke (SMMA) Jakarta Reviews

phieraditya phieradi…
SMMA, bird sanctuary Mar 20, 2011
My first visit was in 20 March 2011, on the middle of the day. Only I and a friend, and both of us have not been here before, nor knowledge at all about bird watching, even though it’s not my first on bird sanctuary. I’ve been in Pulau Rambut before.

We enter SMMA gate, several long-tailed monkeys (Macaca fascicularis) in close distance, but they aren’t disturbed or disturb us, lunch time!

We glance over the building on our left then the building on the right, no ticketing locket, we don’t know yet that to enter conservation area we need access grant (SIMAKSI) from BKSDA which address and contact number I put on lowermost of this review. No one on the left building, a family on terrace of the right building but no one seem interested to us, in doubt, we start our walk.

We just start walk and on our first turn when we see observation tower full of rust and covered with trailing plant, definitely no longer possible to be climbed. After several hundred meters there is hut with some photographers inside busy with their photo equipments. I am aware that this location famous for pre wedding photography, at that noon I see quite many photographers and their models. And heard that for professional photography you need to pay some amount (around IDR 125.000), if you happen to be professional photographer have been here, please clarify.

Only first hundred meters we walk under big mangrove trees, then we start suffer from midday heat when we pass brackish water with massive number of water hyacinth, savannah and medium high mangrove trees. In the background I can hear sound of motor vehicles, behind trees vaguely I can see housing complex. Then we reach the end of wooden bridge, a wider circle area, dead-end, we need to use the same way to go back, below the bridge is small brackish water lake surround with mangrove trees and I can see Church behind. With residential complex around and easy walk this area is look more domestic compare to Pulau Rambut.

So we just walk back the 843 meters wooden bridge on midday heat. I walk carefully, as I aware, some planks lose from the bridge also the middle plank, only on half of the journey. The rest half, the bridge is as good as new.

I wonder where the birds might hidden, I definitely come in the wrong time, I’ve been inform that birds out in the morning.

During my walk, I grow some questions, when we finish our walk we meet the officer on his terrace from which I can see Muara Angke fisherman village across the waters.

Q: We saw large area of water surface is closed with water hyacinth, is it not supposed to, right?

A: Yes, it is not supposed to. If water surface is closed with water hyacinth, birds cannot hunt fishes.

Q: So, it needs to clean out?

A: Yes, we do clean out with take the water hyacinth by boat to salt water or let salt water pour into the area. Water hyacinth dies in salt water. But we have problem with budget.

Q: Have you been cooperate with craft or furniture maker? I’ve seen craft and furniture made from water hyacinth.

A: We would like, too. But there is no such maker in Jakarta.

Q: If there are, is it possible for them to take water hyacinth here?

A: For sure, but they will need to inform us.

Q: What exactly those conical rods? Are those dead young shoots?

A: Ah, that's breathing roots.

Q: Breathing roots?

A: Yes. There are two types of mangrove. Mangrove with inverted umbrella root like. And other type who it's root spread and appear in the surface as breathing roots.

Q: Is it possible for us to learn how to plant mangrove?

A: Yes, it is. We have several areas intended for it. Those dry area, if you don’t want to get wet, also other area but need to soak in the mud.

Q: Then we need to clean up.

A: *directs us to the two bathrooms

Q: How to order for the activity?

A: You may contact me directly.

Q: Actually, we have made contact with Jakarta Green Monster (JGM).

A: Ah, JGM is our partner, they used to hold activity here, usually bird watching, but also mangrove planting and they help us on cleaning this area. If you already contact JGM, then deal the price with them, I don’t want to interfere.

Q: I see. But we don’t yet decide. So, we could order either with you (BKSDA) or with JGM. And for bird watching, could we have guide and equipment from BKSDA?

A: Yes, we could guide you but we don’t have binoculars, JGM have.

Q: For conservation area, this area is quite small?

A: Yes, 25.02 Ha

Q: Oh, but walkable only 843 meters?

A: Yes, other part accessible by boats *pointing at fiber boat and rubber boat.

Q: Is it possible for visitors to take boat tour?

A: Yes, it is, IDR 10.000 per person, 10 persons in a boat.

Q: We find quite interesting fruit and from the billboard over there I see pictures of some PKK (Family Welfare Education) process the fruit.

A: Buah Pidada (Pidada Fruit), a mangrove, long-tailed monkey diet. It has interesting shape of bud, flower, young and ripe fruit. Young fruit for rujak and ripe fruit for jam. It has sour sweet smell and taste, like guava.

We bid our farewell when a family with kids coming, the officer told them to walk only near the post, he tells us because broken planks not repair yet.

My second visit was in 9 April 2011 as participant of Wiken Tanpa ke Mall (WTM) event with guide from JGM. From this visit I learn more facts about the area, also about mangrove, birds and waste threat to the area. I would like to share the experience on other post.

Note:

Visit grant (SIMAKSI: Surat Ijin Masuk Kawasan Konservasi) is needed to enter the area, and could get for free from:

Balai Konservasi Sumber Daya Alam (KSDA) DKI Jakarta

Jalan Salemba Raya No. 9 Jakarta Pusat 10440

Telp/Faks : 62-21-3158142

E-mail : ksdajakarta@yahoo.co.id

If you need to ask for direction to local people, they know Suaka Margasatwa Muara Angke as Cagar Alam, so, you may instead ask direction to Cagar Alam.

Also, other than SMMA, there are also Hutan Lindung and Taman Wisata Alam Angke Kapuk, you may want to visit or be mistakenly into.
water hyacinth closes water surface
water hyacinth closes water surface
water hyacinth
one year old mangrove with bamboo …

Check Jakarta Hotel Deals