Su Casa

49 E Ontario St, Chicago, IL, USA

Su Casa Chicago Reviews

HCSmooth66 HCSmooth…
I am NOT lactose intolerant Aug 14, 2009
I set out looking for lunch and didn't have a type of food in mind. I thought I'd try and stick to the Michigan Avenue area because it was walkable. I ended up on Ontario as I was looking for Whole Foods to grab some fruit. Instead I found Trader Joe's and peeked in there real quick. When I left Trader Joe's I looked across the street and was nearly blinded by a Mexican restaurant across the street.

As the pictures shows it's a very colorful building. It's not everywhere that you see bright yellow buildings. I admit my curiosity caused by the paint drew me in.

I sat at a table outdoors to enjoy the postcard afternoon in Chicago. Unfortunately the food wasn't quite as good as I had hoped it would be. I ordered a side dish of queso dip for my tortilla chips, and it seemed to be fairly cheap. I don't know if it was Velveeta or what it was, but it didn't meet the standards I had come to expect while living in Austin. Granted, Austin is a bit closer to the real thing than Chicago is.

I ordered a combo plate that had a taco, chimichanga, enchilada, and a tamale. I don't ever care much for a tamale, so I wasn't surprised to not like this one. The taco was poor, with a tough shell that might've been on the verge of being stale. The enchilada and chimichanga were pretty good, but nothing to write home about.

There was plenty of dairy to be had on the plate. Cheese was in or on every thing that was on the plate, and there was ample sour cream globbed onto the plate as well. Add that to the queso dip I had from my tortillas and I received further proof that I am not lactose intolerant.

As far as Mexican restaurants go this one wasn't all that great. I was seduced by the appearance of the building and its unusual paint job.
sweetsummerdaiz says:
Given the color, I can't imagine I missed this one....but glad I did :o)
Posted on: Sep 22, 2009
alyssa_ob says:
It is strange to see bright buildings in the upper midwest. I'd be wary, too...
Posted on: Aug 18, 2009