Street Scene Township Tour

Gordon Road, Durban, South Africa

Street Scene Township Tour Durban Reviews

rsummo rsummo
Street Scene Township Tour - Great Tour, Great Price Jul 05, 2010
When you come to Durban, there are a lot of tours and tour companies to choose from. Most of them offer a very similar sort of experience - game reserve, Zulu culture, Valley of 1000 Hills, ancient San rock paintings, etc. These should probably all be done as they will reveal a lot of interesting things about the area. However, if you want to really learn about the city itself and what the local’s lifestyles are like, then book yourself on an extremely affordable tour with Street Scene Tours.

Street Scene Tours is a relatively new company in Durban - it had been operating for only 6 weeks when my girlfriend and I booked our township tour. They offer a variety of tours, well explained on their website. They focus specifically on getting to know Durban on an intimate level - skipping all the major tourist highlights that are so well covered by other companies, and focusing on the intricacies of the city - for example, they have a night-life tour, which takes you around to a handful of Durban's thriving bars and clubs, and a city tour which covers all the neighborhoods within the city and the things you can expect to find in each one, shopping, eateries, suburbia, etc, as well as each neighborhood’s vibe and culture.

My girlfriend and I opted to do the township tour because we wanted to see what life was like for people that dwell in the townships. My local friend was great help for showing me around the circles that he travels, be even he has never been to most of the places covered on the township tour. We looked in to a few different tour companies and found that Street Scene tours was by far the cheapest and the most interesting. Setting up the tour was simple, a few emails and text messages back and forth with questions and answers and we were good to go.

I am going to comment on the content of the tour itself in my regular travel blog, but here is a short list of where we stopped on the tour - The house that Gandhi lived in while in Durban, a Shembe church, the Ohlange School where Nelson Mandela cast his first vote after he was freed from prison, the main transportation hub and market for KwaMashu township, the actual home of one of our tour guides within the township, and a soccer field within the township where we got to play a quick game with some of the children that live nearby.

The tour was interesting and informative and much more personal than your standard “here’s this and here’s that” kind of tour. It revealed not only the history of the township, but where things are headed as well. There are many problems still to overcome, but the people we met were optimistic about the future and proud of their country and home. If you want to see the full spectrum of life in the Durban area, do not miss this tour. I highly recommend it.

Check Durban Hotel Deals