Storholt Youth Hostel

Check Akureyri Hotel Deals

Storholt Youth Hostel Akureyri Reviews

janniina janniina
Nice place in Akureyri Jul 28, 2013
Really nice place in Akureyri. It's little bit far from center of the city, but if you are driving there, it won't be a problem.

There's supermarket right around the corner and there's more than 1 kitchen in the hostel which is a big thing.

Big rooms, nice beds, and like in everywhere in Iceland.. you need to bring your own sleeping bag.

There's only 2 showers in one floor, but I took my showers really early, so there wasn't any problems. Wc is in a different place than showers, so it's a plus.

No breakfast.
Real_PeaceWarrior Real_Pea…
This Can't be a Hostel Aug 30, 2008
This hostel was really a very pleasant surprise, not at all like the typical image of a youth hostel. A pretty little building on the outskirts of the city, with good facilities, very clean and a friendly management couple.

I was dropped off by the bus at the 'bus terminal' and then found I had to walk back fifteen minutes to the hostel, where another more mature and much wiser passenger who had got off the bus earlier had already checked in and was sitting outside looking smug when I arrived lugging my pack! There's a good sze car park for those driving though.

The welcome from the manager was pretty cool, informative and efficient without boring me to tears with unnecessary rubbish. Check in was therefore quick and painless, and he offered me a number of discounts slips to use at various restaurants and on the whaling trips out of Husavik. I took some of these and it saved me over a thousand krono the next day, so well worth it. The male manager in particular was very helpful and informative, prepared to offer advice if requested on weather conditions and seemingly any number of subjects. I was issued keys to the entrance and my room.

I was asked to remove my footwear and leave them in the entrance area. Really pleased I was wearing clean socks! There are also chairs and sofas situated in the entrance areas, which are just as comfortable for chilling out, after you've struggled to remove worn boots from your aching feet.

The facilities although shared are pretty good, comfortable hot shower and clean toilet. Despite there being quite a few other people staying there, although some probably had ensuite facilities I never had to wait for either the of these facilities. Fresh, clean towels are always available, they must spend much of the day changing these regularly. There are a couple of internet computers and if you have your own with you, you can get a password for wireless access.

The room I shared with three other people, although there were two unused beds. In common with all the other facilities the room was clean and comfortable. There was even a large screen television! Table lamps, small bedside tables and a few desks are located at suitable places. There was a shortage of plug sockets however, and if the room had been fully occupied with other Inspector Gadgets like me then it would have been a problem.

There are also some communal facilities a great kitchen and dining area, the lounge is even better with a good choice of books if you've finshed the one you brought with you!

This hostel was actually an improvement on the guesthouse I'm staying at in Reykjavik and I have no complaints about there either. If I return to Iceland to explore the remainder of the country, then I'll definately be booking a few extra nights here. Highly recommended!
Cosy!