Stoll's Hotel Alpina

Check Schonau am Konigssee Hotel Deals

Stoll's Hotel Alpina Schonau am Konigssee Reviews

frogvous frogvous
Affordable Alpine Peace & Beauty Aug 21, 2008
We wanted to spend a night in the Berchtesgaden area so we could see the sights. My main goal was to find an affordable hotel and I really wanted to find a quiet setting instead of some of the other tourist areas on the main roads. This place is an abosulte gem and surpassed all my expectations! This family-run hotel made our trip that more special.

This hotel is located in Schonau am Konigssee, off the main roads, and is very peaceful. It is only a few miles to Berchtesgaden and even closer to Konigssee. The location couldn't be any better for our plans.

We traveled with our 5-year-old son, therefore needed an extra bed. I was expecting the average European small hotel room with a cot for our son. However, the staff here put us in a suite with two bedrooms in a separate building next to the main hotel. The first part of the suite had two single beds along one wall and a sink and mirror on another wall. This room joined to the living area with a sofa, table and two chairs, and a TV. Doors led out to a long balcony over looking the well-groomed hotel grounds and Alps. The living area then connects to the master bedroom. The bathroom was off the master, which was very clean. I was surprised to see full-size closets and armoirs in the rooms. A family could stay here on a longer vacation very comfortably.

The grounds of the hotel are beautifully groomed with flowers everywhere. There is even a little playground area for children which my son enjoyed for a few minutes before we left. The main hotel has plenty of common areas on the ground floor to relax in. There is a TV room and a sitting room to enjoy goodies off the bar menu including coffee, cake and ice cream. All the furniture seemed to be a little shabby-chic and mismatched, but I liked the character it added, along with all the pieces of art. There is a small outdoor pool with a little fountain next to it, along with plenty of chairs. The lawn next to it has several lounge chairs if one wanted to lay out in the sun. There is also a small indoor pool in another building with rooms located above it.

The staff was so friendly and made us feel welcomed. That evening when I asked what time the pools closed, the gentelman said "11 p.m., whenever. Just don't make too much noise". We took advantage of the open offer and swam in the indoor pool, which was a reasonable temperature. Most places we've stayed at close their pools by 9 p.m. and we never seem to get back to the hotel by then, so this was an added bonus.

The breakfast room is attached to the building our suite was in and they offered a very nice breakfast buffet. There seemed to be a wider assortment of breads than I've seen at other German hotels. They had an assortment of meats, cheeses, fruits, juices, and cereals (everything fresh). Coffee is served to you and even hot chocolate for the little ones! If you get there early enough, you can even have a mimosa, but we slept in very well and missed it! The room is very beautifully decorated in a Bavarian theme. Outside they had a couple tables as well.

Another good point is for military peronnel stationed in Germany: they accept VAT forms! Just make the reception aware of it as soon as you arrive so that they can give the form to their accountant before you check out. I asked if they accepted them when I made the reservation, but when I handed the form over to a lady at check-out, the accountant was not there. They were very kind and let me leave the form and then sent us a check by mail to refund us the difference.

The only advice I can give is to bring a fan if the weather is hot. We've learned this at all hotels in summer. They tend to be a little warm at night and the rooms almost never have fans. So if we are traveling by car, we always pack a fan!

Cost for one night with 2 adults, 1 child, including breakfast was 120 Euros (plus the Kurtaxe for the area, an added 4.40 Euro).

**NOTE: I described the room we stayed in as a "suite". I do not know the term the hotel uses.
Main building
Walkway leading to breakfast room …
Outdoor pool
Lawn and building with indoor pool…

Stoll's Hotel Alpina Overview

The spacious and comfortable hotel exudes charm and atmosphere and is surrounded by a large 13.000sqm garden that will make you feel as if you are in a park. Even though the hotel enjoys a central location between Berchtesgaden and Lake Koenigssee in Oberschoenau considered one of the most admirable places of Berchtesgaden; it also benefits from being off the beaten track and providing a place of tranquility and recreation. The 110 bedded hotel is steeped in tradition and has been family run for 3 generations and was once a meeting point for celebrities; nobility and businessmen. All our rooms have a bath; shower and toilet and amenities including mini bar and hairdryer. Guests can enjoy the varied facilities provided by the hotel including both and indoor and outdoor pool; sauna; solarium; childrens playground; gymnasium and beauty centre in addition to the large sunbathing area with its picturesque view over the Berchtesgadener mountain region. Bavarian and international specialities are served in the restaurant which completes the overall experience of staying at the hotel. Additional Information; Children age 6 and under stay free in the room with parents and in existing bedding. Children age 7-14 will pay EUR 25. Children over this age will be considered an adult. The hotel reserves the right without prior notification to cancel any reservation with an invalid or incomplete credit card number.

Stoll's Hotel Alpina Amenities

• Facsimile
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Massage
  • Solarium
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Bathrobes