Stingray Sushi Restaurant

4302 N. Scottsdale Rd., Scottsdale, AZ, USA
(480) 941-4460
Stingray Sushi Restaurant - My plate of skewered chicken
Stingray Sushi Restaurant - Our bowl of steamed soy beans
Stingray Sushi Restaurant - Complimentary soup, awesome!
Stingray Sushi Restaurant - Matt's sushi plate
Stingray Sushi Restaurant - Interior lights
Stingray Sushi Restaurant - Interior
Stingray Sushi Restaurant - Interior

Stingray Sushi Restaurant Scottsdale Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
Japanese Food/ sushi plus Oct 11, 2009
Matt (siualumn) and I had breakfast at the Good Egg Sunday morning from whence we decided to take a drive to Scottsdale to make sure our meet-up locations are confirmed. I had the W hotel pending so we decided to start with the W hotel. Well we arrived in Scottsdale at a little after 1:30 p.m. went to the W after a run through the streets to locate it on Camelback Road. From the W we headed over to find the Marriott Courtyard (long story). When all was done we decided to have something to eat before returning to Tucson. Matt wanted sushi: what did become depressingly apparent to me at that moment was that he did not remember the one hundred times I told him I did NOT like sushi, or he disregarded the fact because he was too hungry to care. I will try many things at least three times before I can say I really don’t like it. In the case of sushi here in the US, the standard of taste since approached drowning limits for me. On two occasions I became terribly sick (one could say I had food poisoning). When the same thing happened a third time, I convinced myself that I had tried and did NOT like sushi indeed. Nonetheless I accompanied Matt into the Stingray sushi restaurant located at the heart of Old town Scottsdale. It was quite busy on the patio and I did not want to sit outside let alone go in to a sushi place.

Inside the was dimly lit with a full alcohol bar to the left and the sushi bar to the right with a seating arrangement surprisingly welcoming. The owner of the restaurant evidently spent a handsome sum and spared little expense in decorating the interior. The décor is comprised of zebra wood tables, Japanese-style restrooms, and a tank in the floor of the entranceway with several live stingrays: hence the name stingray. What I did not understand was why they had 4 black shelves at the back of the sushi counter - a bad omen in Japan by the way. The number 4 in Japan is shi, which is the equivalent of black Friday 13, well enough about the décor. If you are not as critical as I’m you will actually enjoy the place, great ambiance.

Matt walked right to the sushi bar and sat down, I pulled a chair and sat next to him, right in front of us was a fresh display of all the fresh sea creatures need to make a perfect sushi. Behind the counter were two Mexican ‘chefs’ for luck of a better word.

Our service lady was not pleasant but was quite efficient, she served us water as requested, brought us a bowl of complimentary steamed soy beans and a bowl of complimentary soup. I ordered skewered chicken and Matt did the sushi thing: lucky for me I’m off my meds I think I would have been sick because the smell was actually a little off. My chicken (teriyaki for all purposes) on the other hand was quite delicious even though it was a really small serving. Served with three sauces all of which I can’t remember now.
Matt's sushi plate
My plate of skewered chicken
Our bowl of steamed soy beans
Interior