Stichting Rijksmuseum Muiderslot

1 Herengracht, Muiden, Netherlands - 0294 256 262

Stichting Rijksmuseum Muiderslot Muiden Reviews

ik-ben-10eke ik-ben-1…
Well spend day Jun 27, 2015
Nice and sunny, not too windy, so I packed some sandwiches and a bottle of water. Got the old bike out of the shed, and I was on my way to Muiden. Estimated it would take me at least 90 minutes. Beautiful trip and I enjoyed every minute of it. Finally I reached my destination: Muiden, and I had to go to the other side of the little town to the Muiderslot fortress or castle.

I noticed the parking for cars but did not see any for bicycles; it happens the bikes are parked on the museumgrounds, which means less chance of theft ofcourse!

At the ticketshop I validated my brandnew museumcard (which was a birthdaygift), this gave me free access, a saving of 13,50 euro.

I applied for the free tour to see otherwise unaccessable halls, the guide gives a nice explanation for both adults and children.

After this tour, I went to the gardens, which are planted in medieval style. There is one for vegetables, mainly historical ones, like chards, field peas, cardoon etc. The other garden is for herbs: kitchen, medical, dyes. There is also a beautiful plum orchard at the back of the castle.

After I ate my sandwiches on the nice place in the center of the herb garden I went to the courtyard again where a bird of prey was spotting the visitors. The falconer was also present ofcourse. At the Muiderslot a female falconer does the job, and besides falcons she also flies with other birds, a.o. owls. She tells with passion about the falconry (in past and present days), and together with her helpers shows the birds in action. And the children in the audience are encouraged in this show.

Because of my fertigo I did not feel like climbing the towers all by myself, I started it though but did not got that far before I returned to ground level again. There will be another time this Summer to do the stairs, with these museumcard I can afford to visit more often.
The castle close-up
Right in front of the Muiderslot
Replica of a medieval meal
Hearthplace with kitchen equipment
walterman9999 says:
good review
Posted on: Oct 27, 2015
cvanzoen cvanzoen
history, castle Sep 22, 2009
Muiderslot (Muider castle) is one of the oldest castles in the Netherlands that has not become a ruine. A lot of restorations have taken place both inside and outside to make this place give you a feeling like you are in the "old" days. Guided tours will walk you through a part of the castle that is not allowed to walk around on your own. It makes sense for there are a lot of items on display that they don't want to be damaged.

After the guided tour you can also walk around some other parts of the castle by yourself and I strongly recommend the gardens with all kinds of flowers, vegetables and herbs.
Petra2111 says:
Ik wil hier ook graag eens heen, maar dat zeg ik al jaren! haha misschien volgend jaar?
Posted on: Oct 20, 2009