Step off the Plane and Head to Ennis...

Ennis, Ireland
Step off the Plane and Head to Ennis... - cliffs of mohr in full misty glory
Step off the Plane and Head to Ennis... - You've got to love the Irish rain:)
Step off the Plane and Head to Ennis... - the lovely owner of ciaran's bar
Step off the Plane and Head to Ennis... - Cheers!

Step off the Plane and Head to Ennis... Reviews

Isoinspira Isoinspi…
Feb 05, 2007
My sister and I fulfilled our lifelong dream of backpacking through Europe. Our first stop was the lovely Shannon airport. We had been told that Shannon and the surrounding areas were much more beautiful than Dublin and its surrounding areas. At first we were stunned and quite confused as to why someone would tell us to stop in Shannon for a few days, and then, upon arriving in Ennis via the bus (buy your passes at the airport) we realized why. Ennis is a charming community filled with beautiful streams, greenery, cottages, and the witticisms and pubs of the Irish. It is home to the hurling champions!

1. We stayed in Ennis two different times. Our first time was spent at a hostel, which we discovered is the ONLY hostel in town: ABBEY TOURIST HOSTEL It is about a 10-15 minute walk from the bus station. We, unfortunately got lost the first time, so ask the hostel for good directions before heading there. It is right on the corner.. over the bridge and you are there! It's fairly decent. We were hoping for a warm shower, however, the water heater wasn't working at the time, so if you are looking for a warm place in October, you may want to stay at a B&B.

2. FREE INTERNET: There is a local library, which is heated!! So, on those cold rainy days, head here for some warmth and FREE internet time. You will need to provide some ID,so just bring a driver's license along to hold your spot.

3. IRISH BREAD: The bread is heavenly (I think that it is a soda bread)!! Go to one of the local grocery stores to check it out. We brought some home with us to share with friends and family:)

4. It's all about GUINESS: Ciaran's Bar is where it's at! The locals congregate at this pub, and they even bought us free drinks! I think that they were entertained by the fact it was our first time trying Guiness.. they gave us Ponies instead of Pints.. and we still weren't able to finish! If you enjoy witty people, this is the place to be.

5. HURLING: it's all the rage in Ennis! It's a game that is much like hockey, in that they use a stick (could be compared to field hockey) with the goal to hit the ball between the crossbars of the goal. It's a fast game, and one that you should definitely see while in Ennis.

6. Take the bus from the bus station to visit the Cliffs of Mohr and the castle... My sister and received free jewelry which has our names written in Gaelic from the man who sells items at the castle. He shares not only his jewelry, but his cookies as well:) Take him up on the offer!!

7. If staying at a B&B, take advantage of the breakfasts! The typical Irish breakfasts are difficult to beat!! Absolutely delicious, especially for travelers like myself who had been on a strict budget for 2 months:)
cliffs of mohr in full misty glory
You've got to love the Irish rain:)
the lovely owner of ciaran's bar
Isoinspira says:
:) It's a lovely, quaint town full of character:) I didn't quite have the time to tramp off to Dublin.. it was a choice between Shannon and that side of Ireland and Dublin... I had to choose. I'll just have to return someday to experience it all.
Posted on: Mar 06, 2007
Polish-deano says:
Lovely, Iv never seen someone like Ennis so much! And the cliffs of moher, my favourite retreat when in stressed, still remember my first trip there wit my parents,amazin. But come on Dublins hard to beat now...
Posted on: Mar 06, 2007
Isoinspira says:
lol.. especially after the Guinness! :)
Posted on: Feb 05, 2007