Stayokay Amsterdam Stadsdoelen

Stayokay Amsterdam Stadsdoelen Rates and Deals

Stayokay Amsterdam Stadsdoelen Reviews

TheTravelApprentice TheTrave…
Stayokay Amsterdam Stadsdoelen Apr 26, 2011
This hostel was foul, unfriendly and noisy!

It was very crowded with mostly young European men having a weekend of debauchery, which is fine, but they’re also inconsiderate slobs. Most of my roommates in the 32 bed dorm room were in groups of 3-6 people all speaking other languages.

I didn’t get as much as a hello from anyone except two Italians who had the bunk next to me. Other than those two, everyone else couldn’t care less and as a solo traveler I felt quite invisible walking around a hostel full of people on the go.

The sheets they gave me had bed-bugs so I threw those in the corner and had to swipe some clean ones off the dry pile of fresh laundry.

The bathrooms were filthy with water all over the floors and like the other reviewer said, it was a little weird to have the shower rooms next to each other with open access between the two sides.

The lockers were good but bring a good lock because some of the foreign travelers changing around me were peering into my locker as I sorted my things. I see them looking inside and when they turn to each other speaking Spanish it makes me wonder what they’re up to.

I honestly thought my locker was going to get broken into but luckily it didn’t. I also took all my valuables with me when I went out so they wouldn’t have gotten anything too important anyways.

I arrived on a Saturday and the many hostels I phoned were fully booked for the remaining weekend. At the time I wasn’t a very experienced traveler and didn’t plan ahead for how busy Amsterdam gets.

I stayed here for 2 nights here and I was glad to leave when i did. I liked Amsterdam a lot but this hostel left me with mixed feeling about my time there. Hopefully i'll make it back one day and stay someplace else!
My 32 bed dorm room on a sunday af…
Airwalker Airwalker
Not a hostel for the family May 04, 2008
In my words.

I have stayed at five StayOkays across Holland and other hostels and this particular one gave me the chills.

Stayokay Amsterdam Stadsdoelen is one of the many StayOkay brand hostels across Holland, but the standards where below average then anticipated. The reason I title this "Not a hostel for the family" is because it wasn't adequate both in security and cleanliness. I returned to my bed during my second night to find another person sleeping in it. When I notified the personnel there they didn't assist me in waking him up. Eventually he woke up growled at me and began to search for another bed. He obviously wasn't suppose to be there. The stairs to the levels where also a little dark and dangerous. This is why I rate the amenity as low because one amenity in my mind is safety, and when their are people sleeping on tables in the lobby, this concerns me.

Waking up and having a clean shower was an issue considering the shower stalls where dirty. The row of stalls was conveniently (sarcasm) placed in the hallway for the womens washrooms. Weird design, this made showering a little awkward.

I do realize the two days I was there, the city was extremely busy with Queens Day and Night, but this still was unacceptable in my eyes.
melissatms says:
yuck all the way around.
Posted on: May 04, 2008