Stax Museum of American Soul Music

926 East McLemore Avenue, Memphis, TN, USA - (901) 942-7685

Stax Museum of American Soul Music Memphis Reviews

up4anything901 up4anyth…
a real gem Jun 27, 2009
Almost ashamed to call myself a music lover. I live in memphis and sad to say my first visit to stax was only a few months ago.

if you're a music lover you've done yourself a injustice by not coming here while in memphis.

i checked my camera at the door (none are allowed inside)and headed to the "movie" room. When the movie started i was toe tapping and bobbing my head to the beat of the music in no time. It lasted about 20 minutes and i thought to myself, "man they had some of everybody in there".

the museum points out that lots of the artists started in the church. I'll save the reason and gospel/soul music comparison for when you visit the museum.

as you make your way through the museum you'll see issac hayes' gold plate ride on display. Another fun "exhibit" is the full size dance floor. It comes complete with funky lights, disco ball and music. Its cool(and funny)to see people of all ages and races break out into dance to the beat (sometimes of the music

stax music is before my time but i do remember my parents listening to it. That being said, i knew the words to quite a few of the songs even if i didnt know the title or artist. A whole list of movies were listed where stax music was used in the soundtrack. A handful of scenes were shown to give examples. Pulp fiction being one. Kinda puts in mind that good music transcends anyone's "time".

dont want to ramble on, but i left the museum with a whole list of songs to add to my zune/ipod. I'm sure you will too.

Check Memphis Hotel Deals