Stax Museum of American Soul Music

Stax Museum of American Soul Music Memphis Reviews

ebonystarr ebonysta…
Awesome! A MUST for Soul music lovers Jun 15, 2017
(From April 2016)

When I found out I was headed to Memphis for a weekend, I KNEW I had to visit. My husband and I are both music lovers and performers, and the Stax label was home to some of our favorite artists from the past. It was the one thing we both said we absolutely wanted to do.

We arrived in Memphis, dropped our bags at the hotel, then immediately headed over to the museum. I ordered a Lyft car, which took about 10 minutes ($8) to get there - we drove through some questionable neighborhoods, but once there it was fine. If you have AAA, you get a $2 discount on your admission fee.

While the museum is not the original building, it does still sit on the original property, in the heart of the Soulsville neighborhood. The tour starts out with a 10 minute video on the history of the label, the building, the artists, and the owners. From there, it opens up into a world of music history. There are some great displays of costumes, instruments, and artifacts - including the original drums and organ used in the recording of "Green Onions," by Booker T & The MGs. Also pretty cool was the hall of records and Isaac Hayes' 24kt gold rimmed Cadillac!

We were just excited to be there and take it all in. Totally worth the visit!
up4anything901 up4anyth…
a real gem Jun 27, 2009
Almost ashamed to call myself a music lover. I live in memphis and sad to say my first visit to stax was only a few months ago.

if you're a music lover you've done yourself a injustice by not coming here while in memphis.

i checked my camera at the door (none are allowed inside)and headed to the "movie" room. When the movie started i was toe tapping and bobbing my head to the beat of the music in no time. It lasted about 20 minutes and i thought to myself, "man they had some of everybody in there".

the museum points out that lots of the artists started in the church. I'll save the reason and gospel/soul music comparison for when you visit the museum.

as you make your way through the museum you'll see issac hayes' gold plate ride on display. Another fun "exhibit" is the full size dance floor. It comes complete with funky lights, disco ball and music. Its cool(and funny)to see people of all ages and races break out into dance to the beat (sometimes not...lol) of the music

stax music is before my time but i do remember my parents listening to it. That being said, i knew the words to quite a few of the songs even if i didnt know the title or artist. A whole list of movies were listed where stax music was used in the soundtrack. A handful of scenes were shown to give examples. Pulp fiction being one. Kinda puts in mind that good music transcends anyone's "time".

dont want to ramble on, but i left the museum with a whole list of songs to add to my zune/ipod. I'm sure you will too.

Check Memphis Hotel Deals