Stave churches

Stave churches Reviews

Koralifix Koralifix
A fabulous piece of ancient architecture Jun 30, 1997
Stave churches are medieval wooden buildings that could be seen as beautiful heritage from ancient centuries and reflect a valuable and rare style of architecture.

If you favour this special design you have to travel to Norway because almost all of the surviving stave churches exist there.

Stave churches are famous for their unique wooden palisade constructions and neatly craved pillars, arches and doors.

We visited the Borgund stave church in Borgund/Laerdal, which was built in the end of the 12th century, hasn’t changed the original structure and is one of less than 30 still remaining stave churches in this Northern European country.

I really recommend visiting such a stave church because they belong to the country’s significant and interesting cultural heritage! Every church has its own history, local importance and charm!

These monuments play an important role both as architectural pearl and imposing relic for generations nowadays.

If you come around you can enjoy a lovely piece of Norwegian architecture combined with exciting insights and pleasant surroundings!
Borgund stave church
Jeroenadmiraal says:
Ow yeah I have seen one of them in Norway! It was so long ago I can barely remember. At the time it didnt interest me at all. I was a grumpy teenager tagging along with my parents. But now I wish I had made lots of pictures and had documented my adventures!
Posted on: Apr 28, 2009
tj1777 says:
Nice review - I just wonder about the spelling - is it stave church? Because in Danish it is without the e.
Posted on: Apr 27, 2009