State Theatre

687 Central Avenue, Saint Petersburg, FL, USA
State Theatre - I chose to stay in the back. Not interested in participating in mosh pits. Turns out, that didn't happen. But Richard Patrick did crowd surf during 'Hey Man Nice Shot.'
State Theatre - Not sure what went wrong with this pic but I still think it has a cool effect to it.
State Theatre - Who doesn't love hazy, red photos?
State Theatre - Yes, this is the band that did, 'Take a Picture.' (Insert joke about bad photo here.)
State Theatre - Filter

State Theatre Saint Petersburg Reviews

hanleyscot hanleysc…
Hey Man Nice Shot Aug 03, 2014
"Hey Man Nice Shot" was the first hit single for Filter back in the early 90's. Filter is the band that I went to see last night at State Theatre in St. Petersburg. This review is more about the venue than the concert itself.

State Theatre (or simply "State" as many locals refer to it as) was built around 90 years ago, although it was originally constructed as a bank. 25 years and numerous tenants later it became the venue it is today. But it really doesn't look a day over 45. haha

Though it can hold over 700 people it actually looks and feels much smaller which for me is part of the appeal. It's ideal for the types of acts that play there. This is the type of place you go to see up and coming acts who haven't yet gone big time or the bands that have been around for a very long time but aren't as commercially successful as they once were. Artists as diverse as George Clinton and P-Funk, Dead Kennedys, Snoop Dog, The Wailers, Hank Williams III, and one of my personal favorites, Gaslight Anthem, have all performed here over the years.

Off the top of my head, I personally have seen Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Rocco DeLuca, Civil Twilight, The Daylights, The Sounds, Blondfire, The Vincent Black Shadow, and The Gin Blossoms.

So, it really is one of those places where no matter where you are standing it's a good spot. Although as luck would have it, no matter what concert I'm at, the guy in front of me is always a foot taller than me. And wearing a hat. A big hat. Not sombrero big…but you get my point.

Other advantages to State are three bars. Two downstairs, one upstairs - depending on the crowd, though, not all the bars are open. They have a full liquor bar but drinks are overpriced ($5 for a can of Yuengling) but the shows themselves are generally pretty cheap ($20-$30), so they have to make money somehow, right? The bathrooms are adequate and cleaner than what I would expect for a concert venue. It's wheelchair accessible.

I'm not an expert musician so I won't go into how great/bad the acoustics are. But it works fine for me there. Although I will tell you that when I saw BMRC, we stood right in front of one the speakers. I couldn't hear anything for a week. Not one of my brighter moments. Great show, though!

Tickets for shows are available on their website. There are also two locations in downtown in which you can purchase tickets during non-show hours; Daddy Kool Records, which is located across the street, and Detroit Liquors, which is about five blocks east. If you purchase the tickets at either of those locations there is no service charge. Screw you, Ticketmaster! You greedy corporate scumbags! (But thanks for getting me a good seat to Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden next week! I really do love you.)

As far as the Filter show goes…I enjoyed it. Musically speaking I thought they were entertaining. Not many people can scream into a microphone like Richard Patrick can and still make me enjoy it. I skipped the opening acts (Local H and Helmet) and elected to go down the street for a drink at Octave (a bar in which I'll probably review on here some other day).

Some band leaders are perfect at working a crowd (Jagger, Springsteen, Bono, etc.) and are very engaging with the fans. Richard Patrick attempts it but for me he's just not that charismatic to pull it off successfully. In fact, I thought he talked too much. Like my reviews. haha. Thank you! Thank you! I'll be here all week. Please don't forget to tip your waitress!

So, ummm, yeah…the show could have benefitted from him talking less and singing more. And I counted no less than three mentions of his former band, Nine Inch Nails. That was years ago, Richard. Let it go.

Most of the photos I took did not turn out very well but I still kind of liked them anyway. I'm going to blame it on my phone and not the Jameson's and the Yuengling.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Filter
Not sure what went wrong with this…
I chose to stay in the back. Not i…
Yes, this is the band that did, "T…

Check Saint Petersburg Hotel Deals