Star Gazing in the Dessert in Egypt

Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt

Star Gazing in the Dessert in Egypt Sharm El Sheikh Reviews

missmeggie missmegg…
Star Gazing in the Dessert and Dinner with bedouins Apr 18, 2011
I'm not much of an excursion fan as I find them ridiculously expensive for you to get so little from the experience. However this particular excursion was amazing and I would highly recommend anyone who visits Egypt to book their selves on this trip.

What the day entailed:

You get collected from the hotel on an air conditioned coach and are taken to the Sinai desert where you are meet by the Bedouin's children who offer you a ride on their camels. Their Sheik is close by to make sure the children are safe.

You are then taken around the Sinai desert on an approximately 30 minute ride, you get to see the beautiful sunset and the gorgeous desert landscape.

The camel ride can be a bit crowded as I did tend to bump legs with another person on their camel.

Once you have dismounted the camel you are expected to give the children a token of thank you. I always give them something small as they do tend to get greedy if you offer them a lot of money.

You are then taken to a Bedouin tent where you are provided with their Bedouin tea (which I now really wish I brought home with me) and smoke on the Apple Shisha Pipe.

After this cool down period you are then shown by the Bedouin men how to make bread - you do get the opportunity to make your own bread which is a nice experience to have. I did make some and it is pretty much like pitta bread.

Once you have made the bread they then open the buffet which is a goat meat, chicken or cofta which is a bit like beef, you can either have rice or potatoes or both, and a variety of salad and the bread you had made earlier - I can honestly say that throughout my whole trip in Egypt this meal was by far the best.

After everyone has eaten you are then shown the delights of a Bedouin Oriental show which is great fun. All the ladies get up in a circle around the fire dancing and getting involved in the party. We done the "hokey cokey" Bedouin style. It was wonderful as the Bedouin children and men joined in too.

After this there was an opportunity for you to purchase items that the Bedouin's had made. The best thing about this which was shocking was that you did not feel compelled to buy something like you would walking past other Egyptian shops in Sharm El Sheik and the prices were very cheap, again unlike in the shops!

Once everyone made there final purchases you had the chance to climb some of the rocks to take in the beautiful sunset and the rise of the moon over the hilltops.

You were called back down when it was time to leave to head out further into the desert where you would do your star gazing.

Here you met and astronomer who explained the night sky,the milky way and pointed out the consolations with a laser pen and pointed out all the planets and in detail explained how far away they were. It was good fun and a great way to learn something new. You then had the chance to look through the telescopes at some of the planets like Jupiter, Uranus and Saturn. You were also shown the moon through the telescope which looked beautiful and you were able to take a picture of the moon using your digital camera or I phone.

You then could sit down and relax for 15-20 minutes enjoying the night sky and spotting out numerous shooting stars before being taken back to your hotel.

The trip costs £30.00 but is a brilliant day and evening out!
Moon through my Iphone & Telescope
Making bread the Traditional way
Aww such love :)
SamsTravels SamsTrav…
It's like you can touch the Milky Way Dec 04, 2010
Our Star Gazing Trip in Egypt included a Camel Ride, Bedouin dinner and belly dancing and fire show, plus telescopes set up in the dessert to see the planets and stars close up and personal.

We started with the camel ride which was an excellent experience and lasted for about 20 minutes, we led the camels into the dessert and stopped at a camp that was a shelter with soft cushions and fire, where the Bedouin people and spoke to us about the how they live. We were then shown how to make flat bread the traditional way and even had a chance to have a go ourselves.

After this we watched the sunset go down over the rocky dessert landscape which was simply breathtaking, the views were just amazing. The desert and surrounding mountains looked awesome and it was truly a magical experience. I would recommend not wearing flip flops for this and would suggest taking a scarf for the camel ride, also it can get chilli at night in the dessert, so bring something to put on your shoulders, there is no need for trousers though.

We had dinner provided by the Bedouin people and there were no shock surprises, it was honestly really nice and I enjoyed everything on offer. The Bedouins cooked and prepared all the food their, in the dessert and it was help yourself buffet style meal including the bread we made earlier. I can’t remember exactly what was there but trust me it tasted good..!

We were then given some free time to relax with a drink and the lit candles everywhere as we waited for the night sky to fall and for it to become pitch black. We then had an awesome show displayed for us which included a belly dancer who pulled people up to dance with her and to teach them to shake their bellies! She was preceded by an extremely talented fire performer who blew fire and dance creating some awe inspiring shapes and displays through the dark dessert canvass.

Next came the ever to anticipated star gazing was amazing!! After the show they had everyone walk out into the darkness away from the lit candles and just simply said “Look Up”… well I have never seen anything quote like it. It was like you could touch the Milky Way and we even saw a shooting star. It was quote something a truly breathtaking experience. As we looked up the Bedouin guide used an extremely powerful laser to point out all the star constellations and planets. We got to look at 2 stars and a planet through the telescope and they even take a picture of the planet which was Saturn! It was an amazing night and for around £30 per person it was well worth every penny.

Everything about this trip was perfect and they really could not of made it any better, I would thoroughly recommend this trip to anything travelling to Egypt, don’t miss our on something that will stay with you forever!
sylviandavid says:
Wonderful review. Thanks for sharing it. sylvia
Posted on: Sep 10, 2011
lauz1403 says:
I'm going to Egypt in a couple of weeks and this is one of the excursions I'm really interested in doing. Found your review very interesting and helpful!
Posted on: Mar 22, 2011