Stanley Dragon Boat Festival

Stanley, Hong Kong

Stanley Dragon Boat Festival Reviews

ken2010 ken2010
Chinese and European mix by the beach Jun 18, 2010
With the handy MTR-trains /underground/ you can reach several parts of the outskirts of Hong Kong. I took the MTR to Shau Kei Wan station. Just 200 m from the station is bus number 14 that took me out to Stanley. This day was the Dragon Boat Festival with participants of teams from many countries. I had excpected lots of people, there are always that in HK, but entering the double decked bus it was just crammed with local families going out on their holiday to Stanley. The bus winded uphills and gives you amazing and beautiful sceneries of the Hong Kong island green and hilly landscape. On the narrow road we passed a bridge over a barrage on the pond supplying parts of HK with energy. After some 45 minutes the bus entered Stanley.

The town is located by the sea with a couple of sandy beaches. Nice beaches with good opportunities for bathing in the sea as well as wind-surfing etc. There is a good street market with good prices and the waterfront is complemented with a number of pubs, bars, and restaurants. This very day there were crowded with tourists and locals who wanted to watch the festival.

Due to my conference, I was not able to get out there for a full day and arrived early afternoon. The races were just completed but I could feel the atmosphere from them watching the different teams and some of the participating boats. I also watched the ceremonies in the afternoon. Apart from the festival I also visited a Buddhist temple and the HK maritime museum.

You can easily feel the difference in the air out there. Stanley has much less of congestion and airpollutions and that was really nice and good for me.

In spite of all the people it was quite enjoyable taking my lunch in one of the small restaurants by the waterfront, although the prices were a bit upmarket. Two hundred HKD for a pizza and a small light beer. Of course, taking a bus back to HK was connected with queues of all the visitors and the traffic problems where just terrible. It took me twice as much time coming back to the city again, but after all it was worth it. Just another nice excursion from the vibrant city.
Shau Kei Wan residential buildings
Shau Kei Wan
shau kei wan
ken2010 says:
yeah, it was reaaly something special!
Posted on: Jun 26, 2010
sarahelaine says:
I'm very jealous!
Posted on: Jun 25, 2010

Compare Hong Kong Island Hotel Rates (3.5km away)

Stanley Map