Stack Em' High

158 Bypass and mile post 4.5, Kitty Hawk, NC, USA

Stack Em' High Kitty Hawk Reviews

jdsgos jdsgos
Oct 07, 2007
Okay when ever I travel I usually like to try some of the local places. This little place is known for their breakfast, so we gave it a shot. Its cheap, has a decent selection, and is very tasty.

The restaurant is set up like a school lunch room. But don't let this distract you. You go in, grab a tray and your drinks. You then order your main dishes and pay at the end of the counter. Once this is done, you're given a number and off you go. A few minutes later a waiter brings you your food and picks up the number that was given to you.

Since I can get pancakes and eggs anywhere, I decided to try some local flavors. I ordered the crab meat omelette, clam hash, and biscuits and gravy. Here is one reason this place is great. THEY ARE NOT AFRAID TO USE REAL BUTTER AND LOTS OF IT :-) By the way my order was the most expensive due to the lump crab meat. All the food plus chocolate milk, orange juice, and a soda came out to a little over fifteen bucks. Everyone else's was around eight bucks or less.

The omelette was huge. I don't know how many eggs they use, but the thing was too big for my plate. The omelette was lovingly filled with cheese and lots of crab meat. OMG it was so good. The plate came with hash and toast. I had ordered wheat toast and the pieces were like an inch thick with butter on BOTH sides. I loved it. The potatoes were sliced and sauted with onions, parley, and some seasonings. Very good.

The clam hash was great. It might sound weird, but trust me you have to give it a try. You get another serving of the hash thats normally used and into it goes a heaping chuck of chopped (but not too small) clam meat. Along with more seasonings and onions. It was pretty good. Not too clammy or briny as some might expect.

The biscuit and gravy was some of the best I've ever had. And trust me, I've had alot biscuits and gravy in my life. The biscuits were okay and once more buttered on both sides. But the gravy was very good. Chuncks of country saugage and a nice thick (but not too thick) gravy covered them.

The place also serves other types of omelettes. There was a tasty gyro omelette that a friend ordered. And there was also a fajita omelette that was ordered, tasty as well. The portions were huge at this place. Out of our group of nine, only one person finished their entire order. And no, it was not me.

So if you are ever in this tourist trap town, full of tourist trap places (and there are alot of them) give this place a shot. Its been locally owned and operated for over 20 years and caters to the locals that are on the island year round.
marksreynolds says:
I'll have to look for this place the next time we go.
Posted on: Jan 25, 2009