Stac Polly

www.stacpolly.com - 0131 556 2231

Stac Polly Edinburgh Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Stac Polly Feb 23, 2013
Stac Polly is an Edinburgh restaurant. It is very, very Edinburgh, in fact. It reflects everything that’s lovable about the city – its love of tradition done well, with small twists that hint at a more vibrant city than it likes to let on, its appreciation for unshowy excellence in things like service and décor, and the fact that everything is inevitably round a corner and down some very steep steps. The cuisine is fresh, seasonal traditional Scottish. It concentrates on things like excellent lamb and pork, although there are vegetarian options. The haggis in filo pastry with a berry jus starter has been on the menu for at least a decade, and it’s excellent, but there are plenty of non-haggis options for culinary cowards. There’s a good wine list. All of the food is incredibly good, with a lot of care going into finding great quality ingredients and being good to them afterwards.

Prices are pitched at the special occasion end of the market, with mains around £20 in the Dublin street restaurant (the St Mary Street bistro has a slightly cheaper fixed price menu), so this is more a city-break restaurant choice than a back-packer choice. But it has been consistently one of the best restaurants in town for a very long time – when I was a student in the late 1990s, this was the place that people would try to talk their parents into taking them for graduations and birthdays. The Dublin Street restaurant is tucked into the New Town, not far from the National Portrait Gallery, and is a cozy cave of a place down some stairs, with the décor managing to surf the line of just-Scottish-enough without descending into tartan-twee.

The service is great, prompt, friendly and knowledgeable. This is a great place for an occasional treat.
davidx says:
I thought I was about to read about that fine little mountain that is still super although it has suffered undue erosion for its height because of proximity to the road.
Posted on: Mar 27, 2013
debsadams1979 debsadam…
Authentic Scottish food with a modern twist Jan 07, 2012
This was the second time I'd visited Stac Polly, the first of which was back in June when I came up to Edinburgh with my friend Joel. The reason we'd sought out Stac Polly was that it had been described as one of Edinburgh's original restaurants for authentic Scottish food.

When Joel and I had visited we'd been told to visit the original restaurant on Dublin Street as we'd read this was the best of the three restaurants it runs, though I believe they have now closed one of the other two. It opens for lunch offering two courses for £12.95 and three courses for £15.95, dinner offers more choices with starters around £7-8, mains £16-22 and deserts similar in price to starters.

Like a lot of bars and restaurants in Edinburgh it was located below street level and as you descend the steps to the warmly lit stone walled basement you get the feeling you're descending into something like a Scottish speakeasy (not that Stac Polly is a well kept secret).

For the second visit I yet again had Haggis filled pastry parcels to start in a red wine and plum sauce, a great way to sample good quality haggis with a contemporary twist if you've never tried it before. Scotland is also famous for its game so it was a pheasant breast on a bed of winter vegetable casserole for main course. The food was obviously good first time to make me come back again and second time didn't disappoint. If it wasn't for the fact we were pretty stuffed afterwards we may have even stretched to a third course as the deserts sounded equally as tempting!

As well as great food the staff are friendly and make you feel welcome. Even if you're back packing I'd recommend allowing yourself just one blow out dinner while you're here and heading to Stac Polly, and I'm sure the next time I'm in Edinburgh I'll be back here again.

Check Edinburgh Hotel Deals