Stac Pollaidh

Ullapool, Scotland

Stac Pollaidh Ullapool Reviews

davidx davidx
A treasure somewhat harmed Oct 27, 2010
I find it sad that many people know this as Stack Polly - sounds like a kettle fancier's dream and the mountain is worth far more than that. When I first saw it with a narrow path leading up from the road, it would easily have rated the full 5 - or 10 - rather than four.

I feel a bit mean holding back the one now - because even with something more like a motorway going up, its beautiful shape and the sharpness of its ridge easily wipe out any defect in its height - only just over 2000 feet.

I read on the Undiscovered Scotland website that a lot has been done to remedy the effects of the dreadful erosion it has suffered because of its proximity to the wonderful single track road to Achiltibuie. Perhaps it merits the 5 again now?

Once I had been up and along the ridge with a group of students on a very hot day. We were easily captivated by the loch below and were enjoying a short swim when a man appeared. I won't attempt to copy the accent here but the conversation was something like

Man: 'Lovely day is it not?'

One of us: 'Yes, terrific!'

Man 'and have ye had a nice wee walk along the mountain?'

'Yes?'

'And was that terrific,too?'

'Yes'

'So now yous (sic) are enjoying a wee swim in this loch?'

'Yes.'

'And is that delightful too?'

'Yes'

'Well that's my loch and I'm going to fetch my gun and if you f - - - are not gone when I get back, you know what to expect.'

He may or may not have owned the loch; he may or may not have owned a gun; he may or he may not have been willing to carry out his implied threat. What I do know is that, although I have been up at least twice since that, I did not feel impelled to swim in that loch!
Stac Pollaidh (distant view)

Check Ullapool Hotel Deals