St John's College

Saint Johns Street, Cambridge, United Kingdom

St John's College Cambridge Reviews

curious_claire curious_…
Not worth the money Feb 10, 2015
Cambridge is known for its University and St John's College is one of several of the Universities Colleges. It is open to the public all year for a small price of £5. I wanted to see at least one of the colleges during my stay so as it was the first one i walked past i decided i was going to have a look around.

Because it is a university building, young people are walking in and out all the time so i sheepishly walked in not sure where to pay. Because of this i looked like a tourist so the man at the gate was able to see i wasn't supposed to be here and charged me the entrance fee. I'm pretty sure if i had just walked in no one would have stopped me!

But for the tourists they have a route you can follow so i walked in off of Trinity Street and into the first court yard. I do love old buildings. These we spectacular to look out. The tour signs point you into the chapel which again was stunning to look at. You then go out into the second courtyard, straight into the third court yard and out to the fellows garden.

It was a beautiful building but afterwards i felt like i had paid £5 to walk through when i could have seen how nice it was from the outside. I would have preferred to go through the building but obviously you can't do that because it is still in use by students.

Don't get me wrong, the place is stunning but for £5 i wanted more. Maybe a guided tour would have been better. But when i walked further down and saw you could walk through Clare College for free i wish i had just done that

Check Cambridge Hotel Deals