St. John Bread and Wine

94-96 Commercial Street London E1 6LZ, London, United Kingdom

St. John Bread and Wine London Reviews

moviegal226 moviegal…
Expensive but Tasty Sep 30, 2016
My husband and I were wandering London on foot and stumbled upon this adorable little eatery. It was rainy and lunch wasn't being served for another 15 minutes but the friendly proprietor welcomed us in to dry off and gave us a lovely table. Although the place wasn't quite ready, the folks were extremely friendly and kind. Once the lunch hour rolled around, we were given limited menus with a variety of yummy sounding options.

We started off with a nice plate of fresh, crusty bread and butter. Since it was cold and rainy, I opted to warm up with the special starter of the day, a pureed cauliflower soup. This soup turned out to be one of my favorite things I ate in London! My husband ordered the crispy pig's cheek with a light dandelion and mustard salad. Since the items are meant to be shared, we had a blast trying bites of each others' dishes. Next up was the Fennel and Berkswell: I love food and I've eaten local dishes all over the world, but that was something I'd never heard of. My standing foodie tourist policy is that when something is unfamiliar on a menu, I order it. This dish was delicious. It reminded me of my Southern Grandmama's macaroni pie that I used to eat when I was a kid. We passed on dessert but the table next to us had ordered the cheese plate and it looked really beautiful! Maybe next time.

All of the portions were fresh, light, and very tasty. Note that this restaurant, like most everywhere else in the city, is not inexpensive. Still, it's a great place to dine if you find yourself in the neighborhood.
crispy pig cheeks salad