St Cross Hospital(Village)

Saint Cross Road, Winchester, United Kingdom
01962 851375

St Cross Hospital(Village) Winchester Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Don't exactly break your heart if you visited Winchester and overlooked this Oct 28, 2012
Make no mistake, the Hospital of St.Cross holds a lot of significance in English history. A medieval almshouse in Winchester, it was founded between 1133 and 1136. It is the oldest charitable institution in the United Kingdom. Not only is it the oldest but is also the largest medieval almshouse in Britain.

You can read more about it here:

I got there on a Sunday, and they open at 1pm. I was there at 1230p, and it was freezing outside so I sat outside the reception/ticket office/shop. So they very kind owner let me in early – nice of him.

There’s a garden here – nothing too fancy, then looked around the buildings including the actual "hospital", and spent time in the Church. The church was built in the 1100s whilst the rest was extensively modified in the 1500s. I also liked this vvery rustic type decoration by the front door of the Church.

Also passed by the old kitchen and hall - nothing big from a photo/touristy point of view, but fits well with the history once you read about it.

I wouldn't necessarily call this an A+ attraction in Winchester. Visit if you can, but don't be too broken hearted if you don't.
The Church
Church door, kind of reminded me o…
Freezing in the Winchester cold - …
The Hospital